1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spanish Gp - Yamaha/michelin Wtf?

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by John Mac821, May 8, 2017.

1. As a huge Rossi fan I found this race painful to watch! Despite Rossi's undisputed talent, it was like he was riding on ice. When rookies are passing a 9 times world Champion you've gotta ask, WTF is going on with these Michelin tyres and the M1?

2. Well up until yesterday there wasn't really much to complain about being either a Rossi fan running Michelin, or indeed a Yamaha fan running Michelin.

Take away the fact Rossi hadn't been anywhere near the quickest in pre season build up, his renowned Sunday pace has been right up there.

In some instances though it's still not quite been pacey enough when you consider that Vinales outshone everyone in the first few races, this is a guy with the same bike and same tyres as Rossi.

Also go back a generation of M1 and look at Zarco, he's not doing too bad either for a 'rookie'.

Nah, I don't think it's a 'Michelin and M1' thing really

If anything the track conditions on the day probably played more towards the Honda by being a bit greasey, which allows them to turn the bike by sliding it as opposed to it digging in and them wheelying.

The yamaha needs corner speed and grip, also Rossi probably just had a shitter of a setup, it happens and presumably did.

Finally the point you make about a rookie passing a 9 time world champion, well just think about it for a minute.

Rossi was a rookie once, he passed a few champions.

The field in modern gp is probably more level, the talent increasing across that level, and Rossi isn't getting any younger.

Zarco, Vinales, Marquez, Espagaro, those boys there are the next chapter, they're all future multiple champions I can gaurantee that, obviously Marquez being so already.

Nah its just a bad day at the office, mixed with a little bit of age.

#2 damodici, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. A very detailed and fair analysis, and I agree the young talent coming through now makes each season more exciting. I do think Michelin could do better though as all manufactures have suffered with them. The next race at Le Mans will be equally surprising I'm sure.

4. Well yeah, they can always do better.

But much of this is no doubt bought on by a mix up in the field, new bikes, setups being found, rookies coming through etc etc

When you consider that Bridgestone were partners for years, and while all the electronics were better spec (depending which side of the fence you sit), then the fact that some lap times & records are still being broken with a Michelin tyre they cant be doing a really bad job considering.

Im confident it was just a poor day at the office for old Rossi yesterday, but lets not sugar coat it, Vinales has also had a bad day at the office twice on the bounce.

When he gets his shit together and if Honda make any serious strides forward in engine and power management, i dare say that the front two will be new era and Rossi will need his experience + and great set up to compete.

That should hopefully make for some good racing.

Oh, lets not forget little Dani's new found mojo and the confidence building in Lorenzo, those two will probably fancy podium places as well.

5. Once again I agree and as much as I'd love to see Rossi take his 10th title it is looking more and more unlikely every season.

It's great to see Pedrosa back in contention and if anyone deserves a title it's him. I was lucky enough to meet him, along with a host of riders in Qatar in 2006, and what a nice guy as well as a fantastic rider, but not only are Marquez & Vinales a constant threat but as you've said all the new rookies are looking strong too.

I do think that if Rossi was fortunate to win his 10th he would probably retire and concentrate on the VR46 academy and Team Sky.

6. It was an odd weekend. Odd conditions left people guessing. The M1 of Zarco didn't struggle, but then he and Lorenzo had the softer option tyres on. I'm sure if Vinales and Rossi were on the softer tyres it would have been a slightly different story. Let us not also forget the Yamahas have been on as many podiums as anyone else this year...

7. True, in fact this is the first race this season that Yamaha weren't in the top three, and yes Zarco did extremely well, he rode the wheels that Yamaha again, I think the difference is he, Zarco, has nothing to lose and a lot to prove and so goes full out every race, which is commendable and great to watch. In hind sight Rossi obviously made the wrong tyre choice and being the master tactician he is, probably made the decision not to push it and go for the points, after all we've seen it before, consistent point scoring can win a championship, especially when your rivals have the odd DNF. Fingers crossed it was just a bad day and I hope we have a 3 or 4 way battle for the championship right down to the last race.

But I really want to see The Doctor take number 10, if not I'd settle for Pedrosa taking his first, as I fear his chances may be running out with the new blood in MotoGP now and to come.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information