1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spare St Fuel Tank Potentially

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by mgrover, Oct 27, 2021.

1. So, my ST tank is rusted and has a pinhole leak :(, shame but what ya gonna do, I also bought another tank that seemed in good condition, and it seems to be tbh but what do I know. So am thinking it'd best be to just get them fully repaired.

Theres a place nearby that repairs and restores them via welding and whatever else, and then primes them for paint.

https://radiator-repair.co.uk/

I emailed them and got sent the below:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1vEq2VXy0I4mtTLaYcTdNTw0fxW_MIa240Ev5hpsQ66o/edit?usp=sharing

Seems like great work tbh.

Price wise:
    Repairs £ 95 to £150
    If too bad or seam leak
    Full strip, repair, plastic line, prime
    £325 to £425
    All plus vat and shipping

So am tempted to just get both tanks restored and repaired and wondered if anyone would fancy the spare, for a price ofc but yah.

Am hoping to get my own tank repaired and hopefully avoiding the full strip/repair and priming meaning it won't need a repaint, but the spare might as well since the paint is knackered.

Am in Leeds.

Cheers
    Martin

2. From experience when I had my first ST4S back pre 2010, if the bike gets knocked over with a full tank of fuel then the bracket at the back where it hinges up can pull the welds. Because it is under the bracket its a bugger to fix.
    At that time a new tank was 900 quid (luckily for me paid for by the insurance).

Personally I would not plastic line a steel tank. Unless you can guarantee it attaches perfectly, it just gives problems in the longer term. If it has a rust patch depending on how big it is either cut it out or grind it out, and re-weld.
    Then investigate having the inside plated before being painted.

Hope that helps.

3. Both tanks have been dropped off, so we'll see what they do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. got em back, all glass lined inside, anywhere that was rust so bad the glass line has made it to the surface, so just needs sanding down/priming/painting.

reinstalled everything on my tank, the spare one will go for £530. The price of the service ended up being £480 per tank.

I'll try to get some pictures up of inside the spare but so far all looks good

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information