1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icon Spark Plugs..............

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Shag2908, Jun 1, 2017.

1. I have an 2016 Icon which I love, however, it started making a weird chugging noise that turned out to be the front spark plug working loose. Having checked with the dealer for torque values, I tightened said plug as directed. Everything was fine for a week and then it spat the plug out completely and it looks like the thread in the head's gone. The dealer has been great but I'm pretty miffed. Anyone else out there experienced this?

2. Unusual as the thread is only normally damaged on tightening, and then the plug can blow out. I assume on a 2016 bike has not had the plugs touched, so might have happened in the factory. Any way helicoiling a new thread is relatively simple and ducati should be doing this under warranty if the plugs have never been previously removed.

3. I think I might be wanting new cylinder head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. You're right, the bike hasn't been touched since new apart from a side-stand recall. The dealer has said he want's to fit a new head under warranty and we're all waiting to hear from Ducati in Italy. I just wondered if this was a design fault or an isolated incident.

5. Had it happen on my 900ss basically the same engine as the Scrambler wouldn't accept helicoil if it was my bike.
    Ducati replaced both heads under warranty

6. Ducati should certainly not be helicoiling under warranty. That's the kind of job you might do on an old bike to save expense, not something a manufacturer should be doing to repair a faulty new bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I'd avoid getting into too much discussion about your having tightened up what appears to have been perhaps a spark plug fitted too loose. If it was possible to torque it up, then at that point it seems the threads might have been OK. I'd be a bit scared to use a torque wrench on a spark plug, and it would certainly need to be a very good quality one; as they only need to be just tight, I prefer to rely on judgement. Anyway, it sounds like the dealer is cooperating, and I agree that it would be ideal if you can get a new head. Properly done, helicoiling is a well-proven fix though.

8. A solid bronze insert re-machined to standard sparking plug thread is a pretty good repair for an old head. A Helicoil is feasible, but not as strong or stable. More like Arthur Strong and stable door.

IMAG0521.jpg

9. Correct and 100% agreed. Was not sure if the bike was still under warranty. As it is then i am certain Ducati will replace the head, i have found them to be very good on fixing problems, however there will probably be a deluge of posts disagreeing

10. That's interesting, did Ducati say as to why they thought it happened? I'm going to hang out for a new head, I'm not interested in a repair, I want replacement.

11. Well I tightened it in accordance with the dealer's advice, finger tight and a quarter turn for a new plug and another quarter turn as the crush-washer has been flattened, but I think you're right, the less discussion with Ducati the better, just get it fixed.

12. Well I tightened it in accordance with the dealer's advice, finger tight and a quarter turn for a new plug and another quarter turn as the crush-washer has been flattened, but I think you're right, the less discussion with Ducati the better, just get it fixed.

13. Ducati put it down to a manufacturing fault these heads were replaced again under warranty about 3 months later as they were porous

Do Not Sell My Personal Information