1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed Awareness Tax

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ackers, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Anyone know if the police boroughs are still holding these remotely? Got nicked in Thames Valley and I don’t live anywhere near there? Wondered if I can log in and do the course from home, I know they were last year?

2. Yup, all online now. Wife did hers last year & another mate of mine has his next month. Mind you he deserves it, getting nicked in his baby blue Fiat 500 Lounge.
    You have to be invited to apply though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Obviously not me........ ;) but somebody I know did one, 4 weeks ago and it was online. This was for Lincolnshire though and may be different for other areas. But, IIRC, when completing the online registration for "Naughty School", all UK regions could be selected.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. How did your friend find the online chastisement? Did he (you) put the camera on a photo of himself and go out riding his bike (slowly of course).

5. EDIT
    I am certain you can only be offered Speed Awareness course once in a 3 year period (thanks to others here).

#6 Jez900ie, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Apparently he did it on TEAMS and as part of the course interaction, answers to questions had to be written down and displayed to the camera. However, this did not last long as it was apparent that one of the participants struggled with this.........., bless him/her, so the host stopped asking for this.

To be fair, the host was pretty good, retired x-plod and not condescending. And lets be frank, my friend was speeding and knew it, so considers himself lucky to be offered this as an alternative to points on his license, which has in the past cost him dearly when getting insurance renewals..............

And yes, only offered every 3 years. However, if you are caught speeding and then caught jumping traffic lights within 3 years. According to my mate, you will be offered awareness courses for both, as they are classed as different offenses...... 6 points saved :relieved:

Corrected to 3 years as correctly advised by @Ackers

#7 Andy N, Sep 27, 2021
  7. I was caught doing 62 in a 50 which is within the course limit and been over 4yrs since the last one so should hopefully get offered one. It was 6 weeks ago I was caught but taken time for the company to give details of the driver etc and then send me the form.

I claim entrapment though as I was following an Arctic, a police 4x4 passed me no blues & twos or anything and then about 3-4 cars and then I pulled out to overtake the lorry, didn’t see the drop to 50 signs until after I’d seen the van on the overpass so all of us following the police car would have been nicked, police car never slowed down either?

8. It’s 3 yrs

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Just waiting for my invite for one of these (60 in a 50, no convictions since 2011). Been 4 weeks since I said “Yes, it was me” on the NIP so still awaiting my fate.

10. Still don’t get this, you are legally not obliged to fess up to a murder you may have committed on the grounds it may incriminate you. But your breaking the law if you don’t coff up as to who was driving when taxed for speeding ?

11. I did 36 in a 30 on a bike, (2017) at the speed awareness course i was told if i get caught again on my bike within 3 years then it will be 3 points but should it be in my car within 3 years a can do another awareness course,

Edit, i did an online course in June 2020, 36 in a 30 Im a bit of a creature of habit :)

#12 Roadtrip, Sep 27, 2021
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. I was speeding so have no problem saying that it was me.
    Common decency.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. I'm not sure about decency, but the idea that you can avoid providing evidence that might incriminate you, in motoring situations at least, simply doesn't apply. "No I won't blow into that breathalyser" doesn't work well!

For speed camera tickets I think it is at least in theory possible to say "well it could have been me, or could have been him/her, please send the photo to help us decide"; if you get a French ticket (which maybe isn't a problem now), potentially months after the event, the only options seem to be to pay up, or to tell them who was driving if not you.

14. Indeed.
    I got zapped.
    It was me.
    Take it on the chin (being a Jesuit educated boy, believe me, that’s the best result)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. I've done one recently over teams, you can have the mic muted when you're not interacting with them, and if you happen to position yourself where you can look directly over the top of your laptop at the TV on in the background then it would pass the time much quicker....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The top line summary of the judgement which held that the s.172 requirement for the keeper to identify the driver wasn’t a breach of human rights privilege against self-incrimination, was that it’s not an absolute right and the uk was lawfully entitled to disapply the protection as it was a reasonable and proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim. FYI, ECHR Art 3 - prohibition of torture/inhuman or degrading treatment is the only one of the ECHR articles that can’t be derogated from. All the others can be “got around” by signatory states if they so wish.

#17 Zhed46, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. On my latest one saw the van on the way into town, slowed down all OK. On the way back slowed down. 2 or 300m past road was clear so increased speed a little.

Turns out that mobile vans can get you in either direction and up a maximum of a kilometre away. Live and learn. :(

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Disagree with the likelihood of the above unless its just Lincolnshire that are bloody keen, no 10%+2 mph guidelines here.
    Market Rasen 68 in a 60 in my car, did speed awarness course.
    2 years later Brigg 46 in a 40 on my bike 3 points £100.00.
    No offer of a course.

19. There must be a three year interval between offences to be offered the course.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information