1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed Sensor Distance From Measuring Points

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MiKA7, May 14, 2017.

1. Hi all fellow Ducatistas!

After a total enginefailure on my 02 748R, I decided to go with the 848 engine and electronics.
    Everything is pretty much sorted except for one thing and that is the speed sensor.
    Got a bracket from Trans Logic and wondered how far off from the mounting bolts to the caliper can the sensor be?
    Had some erratic readings while doing 20mph and dash says from 150 to -- -- --. so apparantly it is reading the swingarm as well.

Thanks for all help in advance!

2. According to the 848 manual, the gap between the sensor and the brake disc bolt must be between 0.6 and 2.2 mm.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Don't know about the Ducati speed sensor but the Translogic sensor on my 916 needed to be moved slightly away so that it didn't read the body of the hub for the rear brake disc (I use the disc bolts as pickup points), when it did read the hub it gave no or wrong readings.

Also need to use magnetic (non stainless) bolts for it to work.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Or embed ferrous ball bearings in clear silicone in titanium socket heads like I did :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Thanks for all your suggestions gentlemen, it is truly appreciated! I used the disc bolts as well for my readings but I had it spaced to close I guess.. Probably about 0.2-0.3mm from the bolts, figures why it reads the hub.
    Are the stock bolts non stainless? Otherwise I´ll probably have to go for the ball bearing suggested by Old rider.

Picking up a new sensor this weekend hopefully and try to get everything sorted!

6. The ball bearings I used were for a bicycle bottom bracket and came from Halfords.

7. The stock bolts are plated steel so should be fine, I used them on my 916 with Translogic sensor, also was advised by Translogic to use stainless fixing bolt through the sensor body so as not to add to the confusion.

As for ball bearings, there wouldn't have been room in mine as the (already) low-profile disc bolts are very close (probably 2mm at most?) to hitting the caliper mounting bracket, any add-on wouldn't have cleared it.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. The ball bearings I used are fully within the head of the bolts

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Just ordered a new sensor today. thanks alot for all the feedback you guys are great! Will come back with an update when I receive it and its fitted!

10. Finally received my sensor and installed it today, and thanks to you fantastic guys it worked!! Really appreciate all the input and help you provided and hopefully I´ll one day be able to assist you!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information