1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Speedo Problems

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Chris.King1, Jun 9, 2019.

1. ...had to be careful how I spelt that! Anyway, my speedo is lazy and bounces around 30mph, however fast you are going.

I'm looking at replacing the cable, original not broke as it would not show anything. When I first got the bike it was the same, but cleared up after riding as was stored for a while.

Either crap inside it, come loose or the wheel mechanism is fooked. Hope its not the clocks themselves.

Anyone had the same problem?

2. How’s about unscrewing the bottom cable off the drive and sticking the inner cable into a drill? Maybe start off slow and increase the speed on the drill and see what happens? It might show you which part, speedo or drive is at fault.

I’ve never tried this BTW. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Looks pretty hard to get the cable off on wheel end, as no room to get any purchase on it. I'm sure I had this problem on my old 748, 15 years, ago and removed cable and squirted wd40 down it as it was sticking.

I may just replace the whole lot as have a titanium wheel nut to go on, but like you say a good idea

• Like Like x 1
  4. The housing can crack on the drive unit on the spindle.

5. Maybe I will just replace the whole lot, will pretty much eliminate everything, unless its the clocks. Gonna take the front wheel of anyway

6. Long nose pliers IIRC for the lower connector and the internal drive cable can break but still bind enough to make the speedo react

• Like Like x 1
  7. Speedo cable is fine, just taken out and cleaned up. I could spin it in my fingers and get slight blip on speedo...but need to ride it...too late now in the evening to have 50mm Termis thundering away on residential housing!

8. Dark visor helmet and tip toe your way out;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. that's an option, although might seem a bit creepy...even for Norfolk!

• Like Like x 1
  10. When has that ever been a problem?

• Like Like x 1
  11. True

12. Well, thought I would replace the whole lot anyway, new speedo cable does not fit into the clock housing, same part number, oem Ducati part.

Old one just slips in every time, but new one does not want to. Looks like will keep original

13. Because I've never had too so don't know, is the cable the old outer tube with the metal solid strand inside?

if it is have you had it out , cleaned both parts then re-lubed the outer and inner parts? don't use wd40 but use something like a sillicone or graphite lube

14. yes that's the one, had the old one out and cleaned it, put back on and works by twizzling by finger the other end.

The new one is exactly the same, but will not seat into the clocks. I thinks its the speed housing at the wheel which is the problem. Will put the old cable back on as in perfect condition

15. Where the cable goes into the housing at the wheel, put a matchstick in and then spin the wheel and you can then observe if there is any glitches in the speedo mechanism..

• Like Like x 2
  16. will try that, its looking as if the housing is the problem, as works using the drill technique, speedo works, but nit when fully connected up.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information