1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Speedo/ Speed Sensor/ Odometer

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by slappywhite, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Had an issue with my speedo again but before I take it to a dealer I'd like to know what I'm asking for so I don't get ripped off.
    The speedo has gone mental, spewing out numbers randomly. A dealer in France said it was the speed sensor. Fine, except it's also adding 'miles' onto the odometer - I put on 2 miles just sitting at a set of traffic lights and I've put at least 500 extra 'miles' on it since this started.
    Is the speed sensor messing up my miles too?

2. The speed sensor sends signals to the ECU. The ECU then sends signals to the dash. The dash converts this to the speed and odometer readings. These signals are sent over the bike loom. Unfortunately the fault diagnosis gets progressively more expensive. The loom can be checked for damage. I can loan you an ECU to eliminate that. If it is an ECU then second hand off eBay would be the way to go. The speed sensor would be the cheapest part to replace. Then the dash, probably the most expensive. Other forum members may be able to loan you a speed sensor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thanks for the info, I thought it may be more than a speed sensor.
    I have a DP ECU which I'm not totally sure about, it's stopped showing 1198 RACING at start up.

4. Swap the front n rear sensors over, if you have dtc.

5. I don't think I have DTC, it's a bog standard 1198.

I have the original ECU which I was considering swapping over to test but having read a few guides to fitting ECUs I think it's too much for me, I'm too much of a spanner to mess about with TPS, don't want to mess it up further

6. Do you have any error codes on the dash?

7. No errors - no 1198 RACING EVO that I used to get, but the speedo says any speed, randomly ...183, 35, 73, -------, changing a couple of times a second (while putting on miles).
    It went while I was in France and I passed a Ducati garage who plugged in the diagnostic and said speed sensor (I think, their English was as bad as my French)
    If I hold the upper handlebar toggle down and turn on the ignition it asks me to do a code reset, no idea what that's about

8. I have a sensor you can try but will have to take it off my bike. Can do it this afternoon, if needed.

9. thanks for the offer but I'm not in a hurry. Probably have to go to a dealer in the end (nearby, as it's putting on so many miles, horrible Metropolis is closest).
    This only started up again after I had a new chain and sprockets put on yesterday, that shouldn't have any impact

10. Check sensor face for a staple or metal stuck to it.
    You can disconnect the plug to see if the miles still go on.

11. The sensor is clean, I tried to take it off but I'm mechanically illiterate, I don't know how to follow the lead all the way back.
    The miles are still piling on without the engine even running, it only needs the ignition on to add them on.

12. Which Metropolis is near you slappy? I can swap the ecu over for you if you don't fancy doing it, just to check.

13. You can unplug your speed sensor to stop the miles going on. It's just above the clutch. Look for the block connector it will say rear speed sensor.

14. Ah, I'll have a look for the connector, thanks, sick of all these miles going on.

I'm starting to think the problem is not the sensor as googling this, someone on another forum seems to have had the same problem which changing the sensor didn't fix.

I'll have another look tomorrow -
    I have the original ECU but not sure I can fit it. I'm between the Metropolises, nearer Vauxhall but I really don't like that one (had a couple of Kwaks serviced there before, pricey and not good). As long as the miles aren't going on I can go to any dealer, just hope the ECU isn't shagged as they seem expensive.

thanks for the advice

15. I have a spare ecu should you need one.

16. I'll be in Chelsea all week too if you want to do a quick roadside swap of an ecu. It's a 10 minute job really.

17. thanks for the offer. I'll have a go myself tomorrow, see how it goes

18. Messed about with the sensor, seemed to have fixed it then it went mental again, with the yellow warning light coming on.
    Error message was SPEE.36.0Speed Sensor Error so I'm going to try a new sensor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sounds like a good idea mate hope you sort it

20. Swapped out the speed sensor but the ECU was all over the place so swapped that out for the original.
    Speed still all over the place, imaginary miles going on with just the ignition on, or nothing at all (preferable at this point).
    Only had the bike since the end of June, hundreds of imaginary miles put on it and no speedo, dealer stumped...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information