1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sport Classic Fuel Pump Woes - Help !

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Braz, Dec 30, 2019.

1. So at ignition on, my fuel pump sometimes primes and othertimes not, which means I cannot start the bike.
    My dealer suggested the pump or pump wiring at fault, but I have a spare which when connected does the same.
    I don’t believe it’s fused and they anyways look good.
    Can it be a tired battery?
    Any ideas / suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers
    Andy

2. Not sure about the Sport Classic but if you have a side stand safety circuit the relays are prone to getting tired which stops the fuel pump priming - try slinking it out and see if that cures it first

• Useful Useful x 1
    1. Hello,

So at ignition on, my fuel pump sometimes primes and othertimes not, which means I cannot start the bike.
      My dealer suggested the pump or pump wiring at fault, but I have a spare which when connected does the same.
      I don’t believe it’s fused and they anyways look good.
      Can it be a tired battery?
      Any ideas / suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers
      Andy

3. Cheers Harry , going to try that:upyeah:

4. Be worth fitting a new injection relay as well

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Have you tried replacing the fuel pump relay. They are a common failure point on Ducati and can give these symptoms. They are not expensive, even from Ducati.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Try not spamming the same message over multiple topics. That puts people in a more helpful mood and saves the mods time in merging threads.

7. Sorry about that big Lebowski, not a regular poster ;-)

8. Threads merged and moved to correct section

9. Hopefully relay will cure, can you add any more symptoms Andy? - when it does prime, does engine fire/run?

10. Hi Chris,
    When it does prime it runs a treat, but the non priming issue seems to be getting worse. My concern is that it could cut out mid corner, but it seems to only not prime once ignition is turned off and then on again. So I am hopeful a new relay can cure it.
    Will order next week once my dealer returns to work, hopefully cheap enough, looks to be same as a fiat jobbie:

F1C498BA-5BEE-4396-BC90-44E1F8F31DB0.png

11. As mentioned above .... if the new relay cures it ..... happy days , easy fix !

Does this diagram look like what you have ?
    http://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-parts/2009-ducati-sportclassic-s-1000-fuel-system-assembly.html

If the relay doesn't help , I'd be thinking about tank wiring ( or pressure regulator , if one is fitted ? )
    The place where the wires pass through the tank flange has been a problem on some models ( usually older ones ) .
    It's a strain point and the wires used were fairly thin , leading to an internal break that would sometimes make contact ... depending on who knows what?
    ...which way the wind was blowing ?

I'm sure I've got some links saved about this problem .

..... just guessing of course , in the hope it might be useful .... :)

BTW - when you say " I've got a spare " , which parts do you mean ?

12. So I tried the relay from my 1098 and hey presto it primes every time - hurrah !!
    Thanks for your support guys and a Happy New Year ! :D

• Like Like x 5
Do Not Sell My Personal Information