1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sportsbikes: Why Bother?!

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by bradders, Jul 9, 2017.

1. First real ride on the gixer today. Forgotten just how uncomfortable they are and how twitchy on UK roads.

Feels so slow compared to my multi too.

Why do people bother when a multi does all the speed and handling in comfort.

Except trackdays. Forgot that's what it was bought for ;)

Linear power, no powerband, smooth and fast pick up; front works great, rear firm and needs heavier spring; QS works brill; pegs high....and suspect gearing is -2/+2 as it swims thru gears at low speed

Need more practice :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm looking at Multis now. :confused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  3. Why? Faster, more focused, lighter, better braked and front end feel for starters.
    And I've rode a pikes peak multi and would take a sportsbikes anytime.
    Fair enough there's a place for naked and other styles but the sportsbike has a place for good reason.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. It's what makes the world go round. Why bother with anything? Why bother going to the gym? Why bother owning a nice house/super car?

Personally for me it's sport bikes or bust everything else looks a bit poo in my eyes and feels a bit slow. Also there's absolutely no replacement for the feeling of winding up a 1299/s1000rr/rsv4 etc etc and feeling the thing launch in to orbit.

I know exactly what you're saying, and I completely get the mentality. But it's not for me. Biking experience is about the machine rather than practicalities in my book. when I open my garage to my beautiful 1299 staring at me and fire her up I fall in love with it all over again each and every time. If I parked a multi up at the petrol station absolutely nobody would give a flying fuck, it's all part of the experience and those types of bikes don't have the kerb/sex appeal.

I've had so many people on other bikes giving it the usual bollocks about how they're faster than so many sport bikes and tbh who cares? Most ferraris wobble about a no speed, and I do agree by the way there's shit loads of sport bike riders dressed up like Rossi who can't ride for toffee.. but that says more about them than the bike. The bike is VASTLY more capable than they are and most of us generally.

Ive had a lot of people on multi-esk bikes tell me they walk all over sport bike riders which is laughable. You cannot just assume because someone is on a sport bike that they're shit even if many are. There's a lot of shit riders full stop, but people buy what people want to buy regardless of skill.

I've not once had one of these tossers get anywhere near me. I'm sure if it was the right rider they'd have no bother dusting me in the bends. But the right rider probably wouldn't sit for half an hour talking a good ride either.

#4 Advikaz, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  5. I'm kinda with ya, except for better Brakes and faster ?? Thems I ain't convinced, my mate has a 2008 ZX10 and he does not lose me too much when he opens the taps, up to 145 ish, I'm kinda there or thereabouts. And the DVT S brakes are straight off a panigale, albeit with a bit more weight to haul, but there none too shabby.

Not sure I'd get too near the latest 200bhp brigade though.....

#5 Wayne58, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2017
  6. only sports bikes firm you up. Unless you are odd. I guess plenty are.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. I didn't say I was selling my sportsbikes, just that I was looking at a Multi.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dunno about that. My balls felt like they'd been sat on a crossed 12v battery with the vibes....:astonished::splat:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. How many times you done 186mph on a multi? They're are faster and lighter so braking is better. Just your mate isn't a faster rider but the bike is more capable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Each to there own there's a bike for everyone, that's what makes biking great

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. Is this where we start taking 'real world' ? Where's andyb when you need him :joy::joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. How many times you done 186 ?? I also own a sportsbike so I'm not knocking them, I just dont think they are that accessible in modern Britain anymore. Great for track use but feck all else....

13. More than I care to admit. Hence why the r1 went and now have a 959.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. PS. They are still damn sexy to look at though compared to the Muntley !! :motorcycleduc:

15. @bradders, I feel it could fall on deaf ears here mate, cause the one point you forgot, everyone on here is actually Valentino Rossi, and they all do 186 everywhere, all the time. Come on Bradders, wake up !!! :grinning:

16. Who started the thread about a multistrada being better than sliced bread and no point owning a sportsbike. Then spit there dummy out when someone states a fact that said sportsbikes are faster.

17. With the correct jockey they're vastly quicker getting to speed which I think was possibly mentioned above as not being that big of a difference..

If someone on a zx10 isn't pulling away easily then they cannot ride. This does put weight behind the question about sport bikes being 'accessible' but I think more a case that they're so powerful the rider is shit scared and doesn't scratch the surface of what it's capable of.

But still, as we know the rider makes the biggest difference.

You'd have to be pretty damn awful to be outdragged by a multi on your average modern 1000. If they're even close to you then you should stick to looking the part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. No dummy spittin here mate, just tongue in cheek humour. Like I said, I still own a sportsbike and like to think I ride fairly fast and quite aggressive but if you do 186 "more often then you care to mention", then Grossberger is warming up getting ready to give you a good bum in the big house :upyeah:

19. I realised this hence why I got rid of the r1. Was just too easy to go big speeds as all 1000cc bikes are.

20. PS, my mates ZX is only a 2008, and it does gap me, but not by as much as you'd imagine, but obviously, I cant get near the latest 200BHP boys :(

Do Not Sell My Personal Information