1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Spot Light Switch Help

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Jasper, Nov 21, 2019.

1. I have bought a set of non OEM spot lights which are very nice and work perfectly with the supplied rocker switch.. However I have the genuine Ducati switch, which will not switch the relay in the supplied loom or if i power the Lights direct from the switch they are dim. Anybody know the reason? Is there a limiting resistor or something in the switch or do you need the Ducati Loom which is stupid money!

Thanks in advance.

2. If its the same as the Enduro it has to be activated by Ducati dealer via the ECU.

3. Cheers Chris, will ring Ducati. Don’t have this problem with the SP5!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Switching is all Canbus isn't it? So operating at 5volts or something? Whereas the relay will need 12volts presumably.

5. Jasper, is this a DVT or Pre-DVT ?
    If it is pre-dvt it is an additional switch attached to the left handlebar. The supplied loom plugs into the switch, lighhts, and the satnav connector.
    It takes its power from the same fuse as satnav and the accessory sockets.

On the DVT I have no idea, except there is a dedicated switch.

6. As @John W says, on the pre-DVT models (2010-2014) the loom supplied with the aux lights plugs into the satnav connector and has a separate switch (it also has another connector so you can plug in a satnav). The circuit does not need to be enabled as it's on the switched power circuit (10 A) shared with the accessory sockets.

On the DVT models (2015+) there is a dedicated socket under the cover at the front of the tank (same place as the satnav connector). A Y cable is supplied with the aux lights and the circuit uses the dedicated switch on the l/h bar switch cluster. The circuit is CAN bus controlled and has to be enabled by the dealer. I had a fault on the Y cable which through up an error on the dash, so I don't know if third party lights would work even if the circuit has been enabled.

upload_2019-11-25_13-45-8.png

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks guys. In the end wired my own fused switch, with relay into the sat nav connector. Not paying £100+ for a piece of wire!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Out of curiosity, can you post up a link of the lights you bought, please.
    I'm about to do the same as I have the Ducati brackets and switch but am not paying £300+ for their lights.

9. On a slightly different but hopefully relevant subject, I am trying to change the handlebars on my 2017 1200s.
    Just wanted something a bit narrower for London traffic.
    Mirrors off, dead easy, same with the heated grips, then the light switches won't budge.
    There's a couple of little torx screws underneath, but the rest of it wont't budge.
    It needs a special Ducati only tool to move the switch cluster off the bars.
    So it's all standard fair up to this point, allen keys and torx, somebody at Ducati obviously decided that changing your bars should include your main dealer, at £220.00 it's too risky to force it, unless someone knows a way?
    I can drill and tap new holes but I'm not allowed to slide a plastic switch off the bars, where's the logic?
    I now have to take the bars to my main dealer so they can use their gizmo to move the unit, brilliant!

10. what is the screw head like?

11. The switchgear has that much packed into it now that it's not designed to be split, hence the concealed clip fitting that secures it. The tool is £15 from Ducati, so probably less than a dealer would charge? It's nothing that fancy, a flat blade with a crank in it to aid clearance. It pushes in the cutout in the switch and depresses the retaining clip.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Thanks for the info, I've just found one online, as you say it's just a flat blade, it's on it's way

13. There's no screw, it's internal and needs a special tool which is a cranked flat bar

14. Where does it go in, is it along the handlebars?

15. Yes, iirc it’s the underside from the center of the bars outwards. Take your time to feel the retainer compress. It’s possible the blade can go under and tighten the assembly rather than release

16. Then presumably it just slides off the bars.
    Does it locate into a hole in the bars or just grip?

17. Is it the same on the right?

18. Yes. There’s a clip fits into the bar and the switch gear slides over and locks in it. You depress the clip with the tool and the switch slides off. Yes to both sides

• Like Like x 1
  19. What a pain in the bum.

20. It's arriving tomorrow, thanks for your help.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information