1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spot The Deliberate (not) Mistake

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Derek, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Who buggered up the silly nut?

And is that belt really that close to the bolt head?

2. Seems a bit of a retarded question to me ;)

3. Not me. It came like that.
    The belt has plenty distance from the bolt head though it is a bit obscured by that cable. Nothing to do with the bolts nor the belt itself.
    This is the engine from a project bike that I have been given the task of fitting together, the bike not the engine.

4. Assumed you had the engine at TDC but perhaps not, that H tensioner looks in an interesting position too

5. The engine is not in the timing position but the belts are tensioned normally.

6. Well, comparing the adjustable idler it doesn't resemble my 750 ones, but different engines anyway.

7. Never seen one of these two valve engines but the belt tension pivot point doesn't look quite rite, not the best of pics though on my phone.
    Steve

8. A cam pulley!

9. Yes. Can you elaborate on that?

10. That pulley on the driven shaft is a camshaft pulley

11. You're nearly right. Both the lower pulleys are from a 4V engine.
    I had put all the electrics together and had cranked the engine over on the starter a few times when I noticed the the horizontal belt was working it's way off the pulleys. I wondered what was going on and then the penny dropped. The 4V uses flanges on the tensioner bearings to keep the belts centred on the pulleys. The 2V engine has flanges on the bottom pulleys to centre the belts, the early engines had them on top and bottom pulleys. Without any flanges at all there was nothing to keep the belts from wandering off. It's a good job I spotted this before trying to start it. :eek:
    FWIW this engine had been assembled by a reputable dealer.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. Not enough huh? OK difficult to tell on this screen but maybe both of those layshaft pulleys are camshaft pulleys, I see no 'lip'

13. Sorry crossed posts. I didn't get that the pulleys were 4V.

FWIW my ergal 4V pulleys have no lip on any of them.

14. My 97 750 had flanges on all three pulleys.

Was the assembler a main dealer?

15. You're not kidding, and yes, it's terrible what what some of the stealers get away with, or don't own up to and then charge the hapless customer several times over to fix their own mistakes

17. I was assuming my engine was a later one as compared with those pre '95.

18. Difficult to tell model year vs registration date TBH, plus Ducati have always liked to use up 'left over' parts

19. Strange that the tensioner is almost out of adjustment too.

Nasher.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information