1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Sprag Bearing Advice

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Penfold, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Just a quick question... as aint been around for a while...

A mates sprag has gone and the one way bearing needs replacing,

I did this job to my 749 a few years ago and all is well but like a twunt have said i'd sort his but have forgot which way the bearing goes into the flywheel (cant check his as it was obliterated when i pulled it apart)

there are 2 flanges on the bearing a flat one (the one you can see in the pic) and a smaller one roughly the same size as the bearing.

does the flat flange go crank side or flywheel side? I've looked at the service manual and cant tell.
    ideas? (stock ebay pic of bearing)
    [​IMG]

2. The faces the flywheel, there is a recess equal to the thickness of the flange. (not a 749 but you can get the idea from these pics)

20190322_160206.jpg

20190322_160919.jpg

3. as said, the slightly larger diameter flange (shown top-most in your pic) faces toward the centre of the bike. You can make out the orientation in the parts diagram as shown below. 52E49418-2295-4436-82B1-232D34AD4A94.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. thanks guys ill get on to it when i have time and report back.. :)

5. Id recommend replacing flange and starter gear also. The sprag contacts with both surfaces and if these are worn, it will only accelerate the wear on new one. In a similar way to putting new chain on worn sprockets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. yeah i hes got them already, i did it on mine when it went so told him do the same for consistency :)

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information