1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sprocket Carrier / Cush Bushes

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Ghost Rider, May 6, 2014.

1. Do me a favour please............

Assuming you all have decent bushes and carrier pins etc, just pop outside and try rotating the rear sprocket backwards and forwards while the wheel is on the ground......

.........any movement?

I fitted new pins and bushes a few months ago because I had definite movement and a clonk which was wear in the pins and bushes..........and now it's back, albeit less than it was........

Appreciate knowing what you find, thanks,

AL

2. Just tried mine, and i have 1- 2 mm movement but no clunk?

3. Thanks Paul........Mine is about the same, not a major clunk, but you can hear it if you do it hard enough.

I can't believe they wear that quickly, so maybe when they are first assembled, they are tight and don't move, but they 'settle' after a hard ride.........I may take the rear wheel out again and inspect the other carrier just in case there is something wrong with it.......I didn't expect the movement so quickly.

Mind you, I had a look at the carrier I took off because of iffy bearings and I had a look at the pins on that..........three were loose (undid them with fingers), two wouldn't budge without a lot of effort and the sixth one only took a slight amount of pressure to move it..........PS....I never assembled that one.

And the state of the carrier was unbelievable.......Apart from the shoddy casting quality with sharp edges and casting / machining fraze everywhere; it looks like previous owners or mechanics have removed the sprocket with a chisel or a screwdriver (missed in places, even)..........I'm not surprised my sprocket seemed warped.........It couldn't have been pulled down properly against the carrier.....

....so I'm currently cleaning it up and seeing if I can polish (file and grind) out all the blemishes......It will take ages!!

#3 Ghost Rider, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  4. Not changed the bushes since i have owned mine, sprockets has been on for about 4 years (still as good as new!) ;)

(All that says is i don't ride mine enough!!!):(

5. '01 reg M750 with 13,000 miles and original cushdrive parts but recently cleaned when fitting new sprocket.
    Could hardly get any movement at all and definitely no clunk.....assuming I was being vigorous enough.

Maybe your carrier has been distorted by previous butchery....?
    If you think about it, the potential for misalignment of the pins is perhaps quite high, given that they all need to be dead parallel in every plane, spaced exactly equally on a perfect pitch circle dia, perfectly concentric to the bearing, etc.
    And if you're getting a clunk, it must be between metal components, ie its nothing to do with the rubber.
    Apologies if that's obvious.

6. Interesting reply, thanks.......because I have discovered it does it in one position, but a 90 degree rotation it doesn't........

This is the carrier that has always been on the bike since I got it; and then, the play was quite bad until I changed the bushes............

Then I had a rear wheel start creaking and found a bearing had spun in the housing and made the bearing socket oval.............could be the spacer was too long as well..........(originally thought it was too short).......

......junked the wheel because it was easier to replace rather than weld and re-machine the bearing housing.

Put new bushes and bearings into the replacement wheel.......alright for a few hundred miles or so, then it started creaking again and it felt stiff.........

......Changed the carrier over because I found the 'original' seemed to have iffy bearings......(swapped the pins as well)..........and that 'new' carrier is the one with play, yet they are the same bushes and pins.

The 'old' carrier appears to be why the sprocket was warped and I reckon the bearings were on the skew.....

Investigations are underway........

7. Not an SS but a Monster which uses the same setup; carrier, cush drives etc.

New cush drives & bearings last year, done around 4,000 miles and no movement at all.

8. My 750 has little movment, new bearings last month but I think the bush's are the originals, bikes on 48,000 miles.

9. Thanks for the replies..........

Well, b*llocks......

....on close examination of the spare set of pins I have, I reckon I have inadvertently fitted the old ones to the replacement carrier.........that's the only conclusion I can draw.......

Oh well...........take it all off again.......

10. At least you found a problem, my bikes still popping and banging cant seem to find a problem, might start nicking bits off the 400 next.

11. Looks like I had better ride over to you again, before Junior becomes an embryo again........

12. Hi AL

I have movement and a clunk on my 600SS now its coming up to 30k miles - where is a good place to get new rubbers?

Cheers

Glen.

13. Trouble is, it's not only the steel sleeves in the rubbers that wear, but the pins wear as well.

I was lucky.........I got my new cush bushes from Riders Bristol for £50 the set.......last item of stock.

14. Cheers

I found these on the 'bay - eBay item number: 171315866177

I can't seem to upload a link for some reason.

15. :);) Only 128/78 - no wonder your cush drives last forever..........

Do Not Sell My Personal Information