1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Sprocket Dilema

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bumpkin, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Checking my front sprocket in the next day or two as part of the preparation for a trip to Scotland at the end of the month. On about 12,000 miles now so possibly getting close, though chain and rear still look OK. If it doesn't need doing before then I will likely change on my return ahead of, COVID restrictions allowing, my Corsica trip in September.

Looking at the options, the JT sprockets with the rear carrier seems to be the way to go. Especially as this bike is a keeper.

However, I'm intending to increase the rear sprocket to 42 teeth and chain to 116 links at the same time. However, I can see from the JT website that there isn't a 42 tooth option (would be JTR 763.42). I can't find a fit to the same carrier in 530 size, most other large Ducatis that use the same carrier run 525 chains by the looks of it. Does anyone know different?

The most viable alternative is the ESJOT 42 tooth sprocket but this is not a carrier type fit and £90+ which is about the cost of the JT carrier and their 40T sprocket. So no cost difference this time around but significantly more the next. I don't fancy the 14T front sprocket option.

Front sprocket will be JT with the rubber damper and chain DID 530ZVM-X, was hoping to get a silver chain but seems a rare find compared to the blingy gold in the UK here and priced higher.

Pre Brexit I'd have bought from elsewhere in Europe, probably a kit from CarpiMoto in Italy. A decent price, even after shipping. The unknowns of duty and carrier fees as well as the 20% VAT make this a minefield that I feel forced to avoid.

Any pearls of wisdom from those that have already trodden this path would be appreciated.

2. You could always convert to 525, I know some who have. Gives you much more flexibility and choice. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. off topic,
    I love Corsica and this is a really great motorcycle travel movie in 4 Parts

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Chainwise I’m going with this one:-
    AFEEE6B1-B814-402C-99D7-5071F05B8596.png
    Purely for the aesthetics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Thanks, I might look into that. Sort of inverse bling, though the DID silver is, if I can get it, probably about the same price and more understated.

6. I recently got new C&S kit. Ended up keeping standard rear sprocket as 42 were all out of stock. Allow a couple of weeks delivery on a 42, maybe give Bike Torque a call, they were very helpful. There is a certain outfit in N Ireland who wanted you to place order and pay before saying how long delivery would be, they estimated 3-4 days on a 42 but I don’t believe it. I was lucky that I picked up a new unwanted Afam rear sprocket for half price! I would normally use Afam chain too as the last one lasted nearly 30,000 miles, but got DID ZXM and can feel the inferiority already.

7. Michel can you please elaborate on the inferiority...?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. It’s needed adjustment twice in 700 miles against 1st Afam adjustment at 300 miles then next a few thousand miles later and this chain does not feel as smooth.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. I put this chain on my 1200 6000 miles ago, I adjusted it once at around 700 miles, again at about 1500 and not needed adjusting since. I did 2000 miles round Scotland last week and didn't need adjusting on my return, seems a good chain.
    The black anodising is wearing off in places but doesn't bother me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. At least this decision is now put off until my return from the Highlands. The front sprocket looks pretty healthy, certainly good enough for the next couple of thousand miles. Will still probably replace them a month ahead of my Corsica trip if that happens, just for the peace of mind. Giving a month so I can get the initial stretch and adjustment sorted before leaving.

Still torn between 15T/42T and 14T/40T. Sliding towards the latter with a JT carrier and rear sprocket as this isn't an option at 42T. The 14/40 sprocket combination does seem to shorten the gearing a little more according to Gearing Commander, not really sure how significant that difference is though in terms of feel.

New tyres fitted to wheels and balanced, new pads arriving tomorrow.

11. I think your chain will wear faster because of the smaller radius of the front sprocket. I have 15/42 and drivability is much better

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I had previously thought the same though, thinking about it, the difference in diameter isn't that great so can't really see why.

13. Done 40,000 miles with a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket and not noticed any abnormal wear on any of the chains I have fitted. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. @Bumpkin - My setup could be another option. Although mine is the 1200 2013 I think they use the same sprocket.
    I have on mine the JT (JTA760B) carrier and just fitted a Renthal 41T sprocket (RENTHAL Rear Sprocket SKU: 462-530_renthal-41 Teeth (530 Chain) HARD ANODISED ) -- perfect for me as just needed to increase the revs slightly - found the 14T front or 42T or 43T rear too much.

15. Thank you, that's very interesting. I didn't realise that carriers and sprockets from different manufacturers were interchangeable. Not too sure about using an alloy sprocket, even hard anodised. Renthal have a good reputation but I've always regarded alloy sprockets for track and steel for road. The latter having far superior durability. Having said that the rear sprocket, in my experience, if usually the one component that still usually looks OK when it comes to change time, the front being far more worn by comparison.

#15 Bumpkin, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  16. Thing about the alloy ones are they wear quicker but are cheaper and easy to change

17. The question is how quickly? Realise that's "a piece of string" question but if an alloy one lasts 20k then I'd be happy with that. On the other hand if it lasted only 10k and, as I'm prone to change all at once, need to change the chain at that point then not worth the saving. Or are you saying change sprocket more often that the chain?

Surely the advantages of having a carrier (easier change and cheaper sprockets) are somewhat defeated if you need to change all but the carrier twice as often. Now a carrier and choice of steel, albeit that's not light weight, sprockets would make this choice so much easier... No one seems to offer that. Am I missing something or are they missing a good business opportunity appealing to the road rider who surely outnumber track riders by some margin.

18. In my case I replaced front sprocket that was completely gone, chain that was stretched well over the limit and the rear sprocket JT 40T (carrier fitting) that is still looking good. All 3 items were fitted about 15K miles ago.
    Price wise, I think it evens out as the price of a Renthal or JT "carrier" sprocket of around £30 is almost the third of a standard sprocket. To me having a 41T was the main reason.

19. Also means you can try different sizes more easily.

I have run alloy ones for years, but my bikes tend to go by 12k so can't say how well they last. But can say they look better after 6k miles than the standard ones from Ducati ;)

20. Thanks both, it finally looks like I'm finding out about the parts I need to put this together now. Renthal Hard Anodised rear sprocket and JT carrier looks like the way to go then. And @bradders, yes, the ability to opt for 41 or 42 tooth rear with minimal fuss and cost.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information