1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Sps

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by tricolore, May 21, 2017.

1. Looks nice but the 916 SPS wasn't a numbered edition was it ? Did the 97 model have the 996 engine ? What's with those discs.....only asking before I travel 100 miles to have a look.

Anything else not original ?

IMG_0132.PNG

2. They look to be the correct discs for an SPS, think the mirrors should have been matte black though. Engine is 996cc, look at front head through the splashguard, casings should be blank. Thats a salty price for a 5 owner bike with 1 key and patchy service history.........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 996 SPS models also came with a stand and a cover, not sure if the 916 did, but I would want them at that price.

4. The sps was numbered and plaque'

5. I had a 98, and that had carbon airbox and 65mm spaced calipers. But think the earlier sps had 40mm like the 955, don't know about airbox

6. Only a few had a carbon airbox. Other carbon s/b under seat tray, exhaust guard, front guard, chain guard, v-plate and number plate hanger.

7. I have never seen it anywhere, incl fallons book, where carbon other than mudguard and airbox were standard on a non-foggy sps.

8. I seem to remember that Ducati were a bit 'patchy' with some of the carbon items in the 90s, depended what they had in the parts bin when the bike was being built, so not necessarily incorrect for this specific bike

9. My 996SPS has all of the carbon bits mentioned by ChrisDS, but the earlier ones were a bit random

10. Yes, hence the urban myth that a later S had the intervals of the sps... well some probably did, most never :)

11. I was lent a near new SPS years ago, it was a '98 with the titanium con rods, AFAIK the only year with them(?). It had all the carbon in my list apart from the airbox. There is an old promotional picture (97?) I have seen which shows a right side view, with the v-plate, front mudguard and exhaust shield visible, but again, without the airbox.

I preferred a 955SP conversion, so ended up with one of those instead of the SPS.

12. All sps had to rods :)

13. I'm off phone and MacBook and back on iPad. So expect some really odd words and spelling again :rolleyes:

14. As you seem to have access to Falloon's book can you look up the differences between a '97 and '98 SPS for me? Specifically if they include the con rods?

#12 ChrisDS, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  15. Sorry I haven't got a copy but have read a few iterations. When I was buying mine (years ago!!) that's the outcome I came too. Also that the 955 was a 916 unless it had an aftermarket kit or was real McCoy Ducati race bike, just that it was built to accept it and ready to go with the rest of the motor spec'd up. :)

16. I just found this using Google....so it must be accurate :grinning: (I would have used a better emoji but there aren't any available on this forum anymore :weary_face:)

I checked with my friend, Falloon:

'94 916 SP did have titanium rods.

'95 SP Steel rods.

'96 SP3 used steel except for the very rare '96 SPA (just 54 made to homologate for AMA Superbike--these were also the only bikes to ever come from the factory at 955cc.)

'97 SPS Steel rods.

'98 SPS Titanium.

'99 and '00 SPS's retained the Ti rods.

'01 996 R and '02 998 R each use titanium.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information