1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squaring Off Tyres.

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Jnestie, Jul 13, 2015.

1. I need to get down to Wales and the fastest route means 150 miles each way on motorways. Will this ruin my tyres? If I had time I would find a better route. The tyres are pilot road 3. Thanks

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. It will have an effect, but I hardly think 300 miles will square them off. Unless of course they are already on the way to being squared off :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. They are new tyres so no squaring off yet.

4. Well when you have done the motorway miles there are some great roads in wales that you can wear the side strips off ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. I know it's where I'm from, so can't wait to get the multi out on the roads in North Wales :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don't worry about the squares
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. And you can weave around on the motorway too. Makes it a tad more interesting when you do :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Pilots last for 4-5k miles or more I believe so 300 miles on the motorway isn't going to have a noticeable effect. As long as you vary the riding a bit you could do a few thousand without noticing.

9. Those are dual compound tyres aren't they, with a more durable centre section? They are designed for mixed road use, not constant leaned-right-over track use, so

I'd just accept that in the end you will replace them because of lack of tread depth in the centre (rather than at the edges), but not as soon as would have been the case with older designs.

10. Limit hard acceleration whilst upright to minimise squaring off, takes away the fun I know but why use hard acceleration on the motorways ?

11. Yes. Will be like having a plank of wood under the wheel by time you get there. God knows how you'll get back. Take the train ;)

Or ignore that and as above, no impact at all.

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. Its what Pilot road 2s, 3s, and 4s are designed for, multi compound. Will do thousands rather than hundreds of miles before you can tell the difference in the middle. With fairly soft edges for grip once things get interesting. Don't worry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. No impact over 300 miles.

Alternatively take the A40 via Oxford/Gloucester. Yes it'll take longer and you have to watch the cameras but there are plenty of opportunities to make progress along that road - and once you hit Wales whether you're heading North, South or West it'll be worth the wait and you'll be in the groove.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I'm heading south from Cumbria to North Wales so Oxford might be a bit out of my way.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. .....it's that time of the night and I'm making it up as I go along! For some bizarre reason thought you were travelling from London town. Time to get a life and log out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Thanks for the reply anyway. I've got it down to 70 miles motorway each way so no problem.

17. You will be fine stop worrying and just ride the thing
    You will soon round them , off motorway
    Blimey it took me 3000 miles to square mine off as I hate corners I'm sure you will have half moons by the time you finish :)

#17 Ducbird, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  18. Are you best placed to say things like that? ;)

19. I'm not worried anymore, I'm confident my tyres will be fine now that you have all reassured me:)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Once upon a time I was
    Funny how I can tell others but can't practice what I preach :(

#20 Ducbird, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information