1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squish on M900 - 944cc High comp...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dukedesmo, Dec 16, 2012.

1. So been test assembling the engine today; M900 with 944cc JE high-comp pistons.

After setting the piston ring end gaps to JE spec, I fitted the cylinders/heads to check the squish. I was looking for 1mm and have 3 thicknesses of base gaskets to play with; 0.3mm, 0.4mm and 1mm.

Rear cylinder gives me 1mm squish with 0.4mm gaskets, whereas the front cylinder gives 0.9mm with the 0.4mm gasket.

So now I need to decide whether to stick to 1mm, in which case I need to source a 0.5mm front gasket (or use a thicker gasket and machine base of barrel down) or go for 0.9mm all round, in which case I can use a 0.4mm on the front and 0.3mm on the rear.

0.9mm all round is definitely the easier option and I'm thinking that it should be OK, especially on a (relatively) low-revving engine? does anyone have any advice, piston to head interface horror stories etc?

2. 0.9 will be spot o
    mke sure you have both pistons the right way round
    double check circlips
    find a 600 flywheel this sorts the retarding of the timing

Steve B

#2 duc904red, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  3. Thanks, I was hoping 0.9 would be good, the 1mm was probably erring on the cautious side.

Big valve cutout to intake :upyeah: clips are a swine to fit as they don't have a 'tang' like the Ducati clips. I have a Nichols lightweight flywheel so will retard via the pickups but I have an Ignitech programmable ignition so should be able to get what's required?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information