1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ss Exhaust Mod

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Nasher, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Has anyone on here had any real experience with the exhaust mod below which I found mentioned several times on an American based Ducati forum?

The restriction in the crossover section shown would appear to make it worth while.
    P8100334.jpg
    P8100337.jpg

It's an easy one for me to do in my workshop, but I'm wondering if it's worth doing.

DSC05312.jpg crossovermod2-1.jpg DSC05315.jpg

Thanks

Nasher

2. Absolutely do NOT do it. We tried it on race bikes as did others, all with the same result. It creates some kind of echo/reverb in the pipes and buggers up the running. We lost midrange power and wouldn't rev past 7k. Admittedly this was on 600 and 620 engines but I wouldn't be surprised to see similar on a 900. I'm guessing the guys at Ducati actually got it right when they designed it that way.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

3. I spoke to Geoff at Baines racing about this a few years ago, he said it wasnt worth it, the pipes are designed that way for a reason and the 888 has a similar crucifix and puts out more power that our Supersports. The downpipes on the 600 are smaller in diameter but I dont think that would make much difference. I would personally not bother. Get a Sil system ;)

Geoff did say that these exhausts are not as restrictive as folk make out. He should know.

4. Thanks guys, you've saved me a bit of work.

Unfortunately it means I don't have an excuse to delay breaking out the elbow grease and give the headers a polish.

I'd love to go with a different system all together, but as with all builds mine has gone way over budget already, and exhaust wise I don't even have any cans yet.

Nasher.

5. I bought a cheap polishing machine (modified grinder) and polished my pipes. Mine looked shit before I started but they are stainless steel and clean up real well. I've still got the carbon cans left over from my build and you are welcome to have them foc if you want to collect. I'm near Malmesbury in Wiltshire. They're not perfect but perfectly serviceable.

6. I'll have a look at what's available.
    I do have two sets to tidy up, those on the 900SS I'm building plus the ones on my M900, so the cost would be spread further.

That's very kind indeed, I'll take you up on that.
    I could have diverted in yesterday afternoon actually as I drove my Eldest back to University in Falmouth, but I'm sure I'll be popping down to see him in a few weeks.

I'll let you know when I'm passing next.

Nasher.

7. No worries. I know what it's like trying to do a rebuild on a budget. I blew my budget totally but didn't care too much as the bike was a keeper. I finished it 4 years ago and now I'm selling it probably for a lot less than it owes me. I'll pm you my number and you can have a rummage through my odds and ends box to see if there's anything else you need.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I got the mod done on a 1000SS, - it improved the low/midrange pick-up.
    Remus cans is the only other mod.
    Headers Refurb

9. Somewhere on this forum is a post by 470four (R.I.P) where he did a mod which apparently worked.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information