1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ss Oil Strainer Deformed - Unable To Extract

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by chueewowee, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Attempting to remove my oil strainer for inspection, I found it didn't come out with the bolt, and I have been unable too withdraw it by attempting to use various tools and bent wire. The outside circumference of the strainer is clearly larger than the orifface, and must be deformed in some way.

I wonder if any one has any experience and tips regarding such problem?
    Cheers,
    John

2. Not heard of this before? Never been able to budge the actual strainer from the bolt on either of the 2v Dukes I've got, although it looks like it should be able to.

Smackes of previous bodgery to me :dizzy:

#2 Samurai, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You may have to destroy it and buy a new one, Its only plastic, with brute force itll come out as its pretty flimsy.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. If you took two old flat blade screwdrivers and bent a hook into the tip of each one say, about 1mm, you may be able to get them to grip on the inside of the plastic case where the first mesh holes are.

If you position the hooks opposite each other and give them a tug at the same time, it may just pop out - of course, don't do it if the mesh looks as though it will tear.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks guys. Yes sure smacks lot previous bodgery - possibly after the mesh became detached.
    I got a hook on it, and couldn't get it out, because of its present shape - too big - spent an hour trying.
    If i tear it, would broken pieces be liable to get trapped in there? - that's what Im worried about.

6. If it's plastic maybe warm it up with a hairdrier first to make it more pliable before you attempt to remove it?.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Thanks keith, interesting idea - it 's definitely out of style!

I find the mesh cylinder is pliable, but the circumference is too large, and I couldn't close it down with two screwdrivers. I'll get to work on it with more deliberation, like a a set of about six or so thin flat strips with slight hooks ( as per Aquebus above) to surround it at the opening and squeeze it in in a concentric way. warming it may be useful;

it'll have to work when I start deforming it more, in that way! At this time, I just put the plug back together and filled up with oil.

8. John,
    The mesh filter sits in the middle of the sump, if plastic does break in there I would hope that it wouldnt move from the bottom, however worst case scenario is that it gets into the oil channels or oil pump, where it would be most unwelcome. As it sits in the middle of the sump you should be able to see it if it does break, you can use a torch and small mirror to look around. I dont think it will desintegrate though. As suggested use a heat source to make it more pliable and pull that badboy out by whatever means. If required I have seen them for about 25 quid on ebay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks Desmo, most useful advice/.explanation.

• Like Like x 1
  10. We use something similar to this at work (plastic welder) with the nozzle on you can control what it warms up.

If you warm the end of the strainer up you should be able to colapse it and pull it out with some needle nose pliers.

$_1-1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks Keith Mac, that's what I'll do then.

12. As has already been suggested, I'd opt for the heat and squash method of removal.

Just take your time as you have already suspected, you really don't want broken mesh and plastic floating around in the sump and oil galleries. Especially as the filter you are removing is meant to prevent that sort I thing. That would be really ironic!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information