1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ss Tank Internal Finish.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Nasher, Jan 20, 2021.

1. I wonder if anyone can help with a couple of questions.

I have a 1990s 900SS tank that I brought a few years ago when it was going for a good price.
    And considering what they sell for now it was a good buy.

The outside is in very good condition, with just a little rubbing on the paint underneath in the battery/airbox void.

I have recently test fitted it to the frame on my 1000SSie which I’m converting to 900SL bodywork, and have also test fitted inside it a 1000SSie Fuel Pump, Filter, and Fuel Level Sender.
    It all fits perfectly, the only real difference being the 1000SSie tank has two breathers and the 900 Carbie only one.
    So I can fit the 900 tank to the 1000SS with ease after I’ve made a new bracket for the front clamp to grab the 1000SS frame.

The inside is also in very good condition compared to some, with no surface rust anywhere except a very small amount inside the seams at the rear end where they all rot out first, and a little on the Fuel Pump bracket.
    The limited amount is purely surface rust and has not yet got bad enough for it to burst the seam open.
    I’ve had my endoscope in the tank and the seams further forward all look perfect.

But what I’m not sure of is that there appears to be a small amount of seam sealer in the seams that looks to have been put in by hand just in the seams, it’s definitely not epoxy sealant sloshed in to repair the tank.
    Some of it has popped out due to the rust and I’ve removed it.
    Is this Seam sealer standard and put in from new?

Also, the inside of the tank appears to have been sprayed Silver, again it’s definitely not sloshed in epoxy sealant.
    Is the Silver paint standard from new?

The only tanks I have around me at the moment are my M900 and 1000SSie tanks, both of which are completely brimmed full of fuel whilst they are off the road for a few weeks.
    The last 1990s SS tank I looked inside was so bad I ended up welding it, so I don’t know what it looked like from new.

I really don’t want to slosh a load of sealant around inside this tank, so does anyone have any recommendations for a sealant I can put in the seams with my finger, and a paint to respray the inside?
    Obviously I’ll be using some rust converter in there first.

I’ll try to get some better images later, but this one from my Endoscope makes it look far worse than it looks in real life now I’ve got the filler neck removed.

2020_05_26_18_37_16.jpg

Thanks

Nasher.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don't recall them, especially around 1990, being painted inside, but may be wrong. However, as you can reach inside, is it worth buying a tin of ethanol-proof sealant - the type that gets sloshed around - and daubing some on, exactly where you want it, with a paint brush?

3. My 1993 tank is completely bare metal inside and no seam sealer. My now sold 97 was the same.

4. Some ethanol proofing sealers are more ethanol proof than others. Caswells do one that seems to work, others less so. It is about 70 quid after delivery and VAT for two pots that treat about an 18 litre tank

5. Thanks all
    My first thought like Borgo Panigale suggests was to brush in some of the normal tank sealant instead of sloshing it around.
    Unfortunately from experience with them in the past that small amount will cost me the whole £70 Expired Road Racer mentioned above, as once it's opened it doesn't last long once sealed up again, even if you only mix up a small amount.
    And they do appear to be a bit of a lottery with what works and what doesn't.

Nasher.

6. I've used POR15 tank sealer on 3 x SS tanks. Works very well and had no issues. I'd do the whole tank though, kinda makes sense to me.

7. Ditto my 1997.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information