1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ssie Footrest Hangers

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Billywiztheelder, Jul 26, 2021.

1. I noticed that the Allen screws holding my footrest hangers (rider and pillion) were looking rather sad, even rusty in places. So I replaced them with high tensile A4/80 stainless steel ones. Having done so the hanger, heel plate and footrest were the sad looking ones.

So a quick check with a magnet to confirm that they were non ferrous or if they were they were stainless and I started stripping the factory coating. I don’t know what it is but it’s bloody good. It took a long time. I also took the opportunity to smooth and blend the casting ribs.

And then to the polisher. This photo was taken today and I polished them early June. It also looks as though the gear and brake pedals are of the same material. Haven’t done the other side yet.

I guess other machines of this era will have used the same material for these components.

B1D6EA91-DF9D-43CE-B63E-3C90D1D72EA4.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Looks good.
    You said you’d done them June, any maintenance required to keep them looking smart.

polished aluminium looks awesome too… but the maintenance is higher than chrome

3. They haven’t been touched since I did them which is why I gave the timescale. They are definitely not ally. I reckon stainless steel.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hmmm, if they are stainless why would there be a 'finish' on them. Aluminium I'd say - my late 90s SS ones were, and surely the weight would give it away...

5. When I have the other side off I will check it out. If they are ally it must be pretty special because it polished like SS i.e. the amount of force it would take when polishing with the the coarse wheel and when blending in the casting ribs. In addition to the weight difference I would expect SS to be more sonorous than ally?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yes, agree - it's so easy to overheat Aluminium whilst polishing, so hey - I've been wrong before :D they could be SS!

7. Anodised aluminium

Do Not Sell My Personal Information