1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St Advice

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by ETEC, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Thought before I seriously start my hunt for an ST i would post in here for some advice from you guys. As I understand the st's ceased production around 2007/2008. With this in mind I wouldn't want to buy a bike where parts are now becoming scarce or even very rare. What would your advice be for the ST model and any other info for me to be looking out for when purchasing. I am looking to purchase the bike to do tours on so it may well be doing 3 to 4k per year. I know this is an open ended question but I have to start somewhere?

Regards

ETEC

2. I have just got rid of an ST2 from '99. Never had any problem with any spares as there are so many companies making routine stuff.
    The best of them all has to be the later ST3 with ABS as it will not have the electrical gremlins etc of the earlier ST's.
    I would not want to tour two up on it, but would be happy with all day solo. The ST panniers are excellent, but the bike looks weird with them not fitted and the pannier frames left fitted, I solved that with a modification. I now have the ST panniers fitted to my 939 Supersport, a bike that is a worthy successor to the ST range.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You should find this useful: PDF Ducati ST FAQ

And you could also join the ST group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/834643140048807/

Do you have a particular model in mind? An ST2 is quite different to an ST4s, not just in performance but in other aspects. And you have to decide whether you can live with a dry clutch …

• Like Like x 1
  4. Note also that if you live within London's North and South Circular Roads (that is, the projected Ultra Low Emissions Zone) the very late ST3 is the only version exempt from charges.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have a ST2 and a ST3. I think they are great bikes. Spares have never been a problem - either genuine stuff from a Ducati dealer or aftermarket from loads of places. They seem to be quite cheap to buy as well. Can't really find fault with them and confused as to why Ducati dropped the ST range. I would go for the best condition one that you can afford and buy privately.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Me too, but I suspect the factory's answer is that if you want a new Ducati to go touring on, they have a nice Multistrada for you to buy—to which my response is "too tall, too heavy, too sit-up-and-beg".

The market for ST-type bikes is clearly limited, judging by the results of an internet search on "sports touring motorcycles"; see e.g. http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/sport-touring.html
    and http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-out...290-super-duke-gt-vs-mv-agusta-turismo-veloce

• Like Like x 1
  7. The 939 Supersport is a much better sport tourer than the ST range ever was, just lighter, more economical and more comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Is it? Never ridden one but it has a fuel tank capacity of 16 litres compared to 21 on an ST. Much more modern bike but a quick look on Ebay reveals nothing under 9k whereas I paid £1500 for my ST2 and £3300 for my ST3.

Not knocking a bike that I haven't ridden and it is very pretty AND Ducati. If I had 9k then I could well be tempted but not sure that we are comparing equivalent bikes...A very sporty tourer!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bob T does say the 939's more economical—but it would have to be a lot more economical to have the same range as an ST.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The smaller tank was a concern at first, but not something that worries me now. The Supersport is much more economical than the ST2 was. I get around 60 to 65 mpg at around 75 mph. Never run the bike to dry but longest stint before refuelling is around 170 miles, pee and coffee stop time too.
    The SS is also much more comfortable than the ST imho.
    If you want a cheap bike then go for the older ST, but I was referring to the point about a sport tourer in the Ducati range rather than what an individual can afford.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I agree that 170 miles is about as much as one should attempt between stops. Is your 60/65 mpg @ 75 mph steady motorway cruising, or some other riding style?

I'm reproducing here a recent post of mine to the ST Facebook group:

Just back from a weekend at the CRMC Donington event, and fuel consumption from the filling-station receipts is:

Out

14.16 litres for 179.8 miles = 57.77 mpg

Home

15.21 litres for 175.1 miles = 52.38 mpg

This is for deliberately roundabout runs between SE London and Donington, mainly along the A5/A444; out was slowish on a Friday morning, home was "fast" on Sunday early evening (quite a lot of full-throttle overtaking).

Note that the above results from heading for a pump as soon as possible once the light starts flashing; with Bob T's consumption and a 16 litre tank I'd be in much the same position, but would these rides have achieved Bob's figures on the 939?
    Mana

• Like Like x 1
  12. I think ST production stopped in 2005. Watch for flakey rockers, loom and connector issues and any hint of trouble starting.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I can only comment on my bike which is a 2002 ST4. Only problem I've ever had was the safety relay (sidestand cut-out) failing so I linked it out. I get 50 mpg whatever I do but that is generally a 30 mile commute. It's quick enough for me but probably quite sedate for modern standards - depends what you want it for? Cheap to buy and a great all rounder.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I've had the st2,4 and still have the 3s.
    47k miles on the st3 now and the only thing to watch are front wheel bearings.Mines been two up fully laden for all of those miles.

It's not as comfy as you'd expect as it's more sports than tourer.
    I now have the 939ss and this is actually more comfortable for the rider but not passenger.However I would never be without the st3.

I've given it a hard life but looked after it and I still get comments of how well it looks.

Buy one, any you won't regret it. The st3 has better fuelung for around town.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 001(1).JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I used to have an ST4s ABS. It would do 67 mpg on continental trips, the best I have seen on on the Supersport 939 is 57mpg. With the MTS1200 it was hard pushed to see 50mpg. The smaller tank on the SS has never bothered as I tend to stop every 100 miles. I can confirm that the SS939 is more comfortable but the ST panniers are far better than the SS ones.
    If buying any ST watch out for the condition of the big 25-way main loom connector below the fuse box. They are susceptible to trapping water inside and can become terminally corroded.
    The ST mirrors are prone to damage and replacements are hard to come by. The SS939 mirrors are crap!
    I would avoid the '97 and '98 ST2s with single-phase alternators, they are prone to charging problems and the '98 in particular can burn out stators which are expensive and hard to find as they were unique to that year.
    Only the early ST3 has a dry clutch, after the 1st year they changed to a wet clutch.
    All of the ST headlights up until the facelift ST4s and the ST3 have really poor headlights with the silvering usually coming off the dip beam reflector. I have a spare in practically new condition if anyone wants to make me an offer for it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Having failed to find another ST4S this summer to replace my much missed one, i bought a low mileage Multistrada 1200s.
    Comfort is much worse
    Power is much more
    Wind protection is much worse
    Nothing has failed on the multi yet but i've only had it 2 months and 2000 miles.

The only thing that ever failed on the ST4S was the rear wheel speed sensor, no biggie.

Mileage is exactly the same at 45mpg, well to within 1mpg.

Loved the ST4S

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks for all the replies so far lots to digest.

Thanks for this, why do you say about touring 2 up as this is what I am purchasing for?

Thanks for the link to the Facebook page, I haven't considered which model but will try to go for one of the later ones as it seems the early ones may have some issues. Also whats the clutch situation as dont they both work the same?

I dont think I will be venturing into London with the bike.

ETEC

19. Just my opinion. I tour solo as both the wife and my other touring partner, her niece, have their own Ducatis. For two up touring I would go back to the bigger touring bikes that I have owned in the past, BMW K1200GT, FJR1300 etc. Trouble with those bikes is that they are too big and heavy for scratching around the back roads of the Dordogne.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information