1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St2 Bars - Do They Fit A Carby 750ss?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by freebird, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Hi All

The title says it all really. I have a 1998 750SS and find the bars a tad low for my aging frame. I read somewhere that ST2/3/4 bars provide a more upright riding position. I will fit an ST2 top yoke too.

My question is, has anyone got any experience of this and will the controls clear the fairing?

Cheers

Glen

2. No chance, unless you drilled and tapped the SS top yoke. You might get away with fitting the ST top yoke as both the SS and ST use 50mm fork tubes, although I don't know if the offset is the same, but I doubt very much if they would clear the fairing. You might look into riser clip ons.

Screenshot 2021-06-16 at 11.11.48.png

3. ST4S bars will fit , I used to have these ones on a Sport Classic. IMG_2802 (2).jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. Well, if ST4 bars fit I hope ST2 ones will too as I have just won some along with the yokes on eBay. They look lower than ST4, so fingers crossed.

I will report back when I have fitted them - or failed too!

• Like Like x 2
  5. as others have advised, suspect clearance of fairing maybe problematic, the ST bars are fixed in place, also the steering stem arrangement will differ, simple nut on your SS whereas the ST has the larger captive boss type fitting, from memory offset is same, best of luck with it, be interesting to see how you get on.
    edit:
    picture worth a thousand words etc.

ss87310161b.jpg

st70310131a.jpg

#5 WAH900ss, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  6. These bars are from a facelift ST4s of 2004/5 or from an ST3, which clamp direct to the fork leg below the top yoke. There is a pin that locates in the underside of the yoke to prevent rotation.

7. I have Woodcraft clip ons with separate tubes on my Superlight. I suffer with arthritis so I simply swapped the clamps over to make the bars almost flat and it made a world of difference. It looks strange but it's the difference between not being able to ride the bike and being actually comfortable!

8. I found the st2 top yoke, on one I have with me, has a different offset than SS: you would need a bottom yoke too.

However, If I recall correctly, the bottom yoke seemed to have the same part numbers for both SS and ST2 on the hungarian ducati site parts list!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. It's probably hard to tell from these photos, but hopefully you'll notice how flat the bars are.
    Woodcraft clip ons aren't cheap, particularly after import duty, but you can get several different heights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hi All

Well, I have trial fitted the ST2 top yoke and bars and can report that the offset is the same. Unfortunately the master cylinders foul the fairing, so short of fitting some with remote reservoirs it's not going to work. The other issues are that I would need a spacing ring to adapt the steering stem fixing - see above, plus there is no provision for mounting the ignition switch to the underside of the top yoke.

All of this is possible, but it's far simpler to simply extend the existing clip on riser part by 30mm and adjust the height to just clear the fairing. This will look better too, the ST2 stuff isn't as pretty.

IMG_2701.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. So, my solution was to extend the lift of the standard clip-ons by 30mm by cutting the oval sections and welding in inserts stuffed down the holes. I then adjusted the height of the RH one so the brake reservoir just cleared the fairing and the LH one to the same relative height.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information