1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St2 Side Stand Scaring The Hell Out Of Me - Can It Be Changed?

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by keith_henson, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Hello,

Since I picked up my ST2 on Thursday, I have become quite nervous about the side stand and the somewhat lack of lean angle on the bike when it is up on it (as in nervous that a mild gust of wind will blow it over). Is there anyway of modifying the stand to give it a better lean angle or is there anywhere that has a replacement aftermarket part to fit? I have seen the threads for cutting out the electrical bypass for warming up the bike on the side stand - this will also be order of the day once I get round to sorting the stand out in one go :)

Any help here would be very welcome.

Many Thanks

Keith

2. Warming the bike on the side stand is the worst punishment you could do to any bike!
    For the side stand angle check that the adjustable link length on the rear suspension is set as per the manual. Many people lower them at the back and that makes the bike more upright.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OK - sounds like a good idea not to! I shall have a look at the link length on the rear suspension and let you know.

4. Worst case you could just shorten it

5. I'm thinking of that - or heating it up with some oxyactelyene and gently putting a couple more degrees on the bend. If the link length doesn't work then I shall try plan B (or C) :)

6. Take an angle grinder to the stop so the stand will go further forward.

7. No Brainer? :D

8. Hi Keith
    I had the same issue with my ST2 way back in 2003.I found a forum somewhere that said if you live anywhere near the sea,which I do,take off your side stand and take it to the end of the nearest pier and throw it in!! I took this advice as ST2's stand is so upright and spring loaded and I fitted a stand from a later ST4 which went strait on without any modifications and gave a much better lean angle and peace of mind!
    Ray

9. My ST2 stand is not spring loaded.

10. My ST was a 1997 model and as soon as you sat on the bike and took the weight of the stand would flick back to the frame. My brother in law has an early ST like mine and his does the same, very dodgy! Incidentally I still have my bike though it's on Sorn at the moment as I use the ST3s but I did over 30000 miles with no trouble apart from a reg rectifier which let me down in France. It's still got the original clutch and has never had the shims done I just rode it nearly everyday and did Spain and France a few times 2 up with luggage most of the time. Loved it.

11. Mine is a '97 or '98. Perhaps the stand has been modified at some stage in its life. I don't use that bike anymore, I use the 848, but the wife only uses the ST2. She sold her much newer BMW F800ST and kept the ST2 as she likes it better.
    We have been in France for years but the rectifier has not let us down yet. :)

12. Your wife must know a thing or two about bikes then Bob and knows a good one when she sees it. Love riding in France,just had a long weekend in Normandy sailing from Poole which is ten minutes from us. We were there a week before the tour passed through and every village we went through looked amazing. We'll be back next year. Ride safe

13. So an ST4 stand will fit no problem? Sounds like a plan.

14. Just grind the head down on the pivot bolt so the stand spring passes it's tension point, the stand will act like a normal prop stand then, so won't "flip up" and the bike will lean over a little more too.

I'm sure I was told that later stands won't fit, but that could be wrong.

Just my two penn'eth.....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information