1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St3 Oil Filter Removal

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Martin D, Aug 26, 2018.

1. .

#1 Martin D, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2018
  2. Yep, I think we go round the Rennes ring road. Visiting the U boat musuem and there is a submarine place not far way.

3. Yup, I think that we skirt Rennes on the ring road. The u-boat pens at St Nazaire is on the list!

4. Thanks for the pictures. I will check again because it did look to me that the ST3 has slightly less room - or the filter on there is shorter and not sticking out as much. I will probably just change the oil before France - I have some in stock. What I will probably do is use my vouchers at Riders to get a couple of new OE filters. My understanding is that it is the same part as my Monster and ST2, in which case it will have 14 flutes. If they have 8 then I will probably get the tool that I showed, but if the new ones have 14 then it's not worth buying a £25 tool for one use - in which case, I will get one like yours.

Yes, I have the tool for the sump filter but I will clean that when I do the cartridge filter replacement.

Thanks to everybody that came back so quickly with help and advice. I will update the thread after a get OE filters regarding the number of flutes.

5. use a bit of belt nylon or anything that will wrap around it get and extension piece for a ratchet then start to wind the bet around the bar and the filter. pulls the sucker loose!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. You can end up with a ripped filter casing but if you do, you can simply stick some pliers into the holes in the solid plate inside and use a bar across the pliers handles to undo the filter.
    Much better to use a proper tool though.

7. Re running motor first. With this bike i don't do that as I find it pushes around 0.5 Litre up to the oil cooler that never comes back. On balance I do the job cold

#7 johnny, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  8. Used up my Riders vouchers on oil filters and some cleaning stuff. As expected, the filter is the same on all Ducatis. The parts guy thought that it is only the Panigale that is different. Two of them were familiar with after market oil filters but didn't know of any with 6 flutes. God know where it came from - so I will bodge it off using the suggestions above!

Gonna do that after France though. I will put clean oil in that I've had for a while doing not very much. It will probably do about 2000 miles next week. I may be being a bit over-cautious but me and this ST3 have history with strange faults!

I do not want to give any opportunity for it to get out of the trip, I used my Monster to go to Riders today and yesterday it took me to Fowlers. I do enjoy it but the small tank is a pain. I spent most of today with the fuel light on. I don't pass that many petrol stations (most closed done now) and got to 123 miles. It took 14 litres to the brim FFS! 21 litre tank on the ST3 should give me an easy 190 miles.

#8 PerryL, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  9. I've ordered the £3.99 tool on ebay. As it is a one-off, I don't really care about quality. Once that filter is off then I don't need the tool again. As I said, I'll leave it until I get back from France. I know that I might be able to make something up myself but for £3.99.......

10. For £3.99 it may will be crap but for that money I don't care!

11. Arrived today. doesn't look that bad for the money. I shall leave it until I get back from France.

Anyone: I will need to buy fresh oil. I go for any good name synthetic 10w40, normally. Any strong views on oil to use?

12. Just wasted an hour with the cheapo tool - it didn't work. I'm a bit annoyed with myself for not thinking this through. All of the time that I've had Ducatis and worked on them the big lesson learnt is to not mess about with crap and do the job properly. I will have to shell out for the tool that I will use only once. Because the filter is almost completely hidden in the crankcase, then bodging it with putting screwdrivers through it is just asking for trouble.

On the plus side, I made the right decision to leave it until after France AND West Ham won today by some miracle!!!

13. It is not identical. It has more plastic in it than your photos. Put it down to operator error or whatever. I've worked on Ducatis and bikes all of my life and I know what I'm doing. We don't know who put this thing on and how f**king tight they did it!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information