1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St3 Rear Suspension Play

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by PerryL, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Just had ST3 MoT and it passed - yay!!!

The tester noticed that there is play in the rear suspension - not even worth an advisory, he said.

With the bike on the centre-stand , one can grab the wheel and lift it a fraction (and hear a clump).

Anybody ever had cause to investigate this? I dunno exactly where the play is.

2. Most likely in the linkage - worn pins/bushes?
    You wont notice it when riding with the weight on it...

3. Could be. The bike has done 8500 miles, on!y. I wondered if the shock had some play. l guess that the only way will to strip the whole mechanism.

4. It could be in the shock top and bottom bearings, which are removable if you have an Ohlins, not sure about Sachs/Showa kit. Alternatively, there are two rod ends in the suspension pushrod which could wear.

The easiest way to find the movement it is to put the bike on the centrestand and get a helper to move the back wheel up and down- you then feel for movement in each joint relative to its neighboring part, you'll feel it before you see it if the movement at the wheel is very small.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information