1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St4 Idle Rpm

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Rickster, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Hi Everyone
    When the engine is at temperature the idle speed is about 900rpm,when I blip the throttle the engine cuts out.What is the best way to increase the idle speed.

2. ST4 has a throttle stop screw. RHS of the front throttle where the cable hooks up. Just give it a tweak.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for your reply
    Do you mean at the throttle body on the engine.

4. I've been told that altering the throttle stop upsets the a/f ratio or confuses the ECU or something. I can't think how but when I tried to alter the idle by moving the stop it completely messed up the fuelling ...... cue expensive trip to Luigi Moto!

Best to try the air control screws on the throttle bodies, which is the official method.

Take a look at the workshop manuals stored on this site.

5. Yes. Bit of a pain to get to, but it's the only way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks Nelly
    I will give it a go at the weekend

7. Then again a TPS setup might be the way to go. It sounds like it's very close to being right.
    How old is the fuel filter?

#7 broadie, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  8. I would check the throttle body balance too.

9. Edit.. Go with Nelly's suggestion.

#9 KeithMac, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  10. Just had a read up on this and it looks like the ECU self calibrates for 0% throttle so Nelly has the correct proceedure (adjusting the fixed throttle stop).

Sorry for confusing matters!.

11. I went out for a ride to get engine up to temperature before I made any adjustments and came across other problems,I have a post in Technical help,thanks all for your input.
    Regards
    Rick

Do Not Sell My Personal Information