1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St4 Mirror - Can It Be Fixed? - Yes It Can!

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by TimST4, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. My bike went over in high winds the other day, minor damage. worst if the rh mirror.
    as these are a bit thin on the ground I was thinking of trying to fix the existing one. The issue is that the hole for the spring has broken. what are your thoughts on drilling a new hole? will it be ok?

20180201_210325.jpg

20180201_210406.jpg

20180201_210555.jpg

2. Build it back up with Qbond and drill in the right place.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. QBond is good stuff. Andy

4. It can be fixed! turns out I was wrong, the bit I thought had broken must be from the moulding process. The spring hooks in under the plastic casing.

here's how I did it.
    1. Remove the miror base from the bike, you should have 4 components (mirror, spring, pillar, base)
    20180203_112308.jpg
    2. locate the eye just below the plastic case on the mirror where it would fit onto the pillar.
    20180203_112406.jpg
    3. insert the long hook end of the spring into the eye. this is an up and over motion (video too large to upload, sorry)
    20180203_112425.jpg
    4. the tricky bit - if you just put the pillar on the spring will be up against the wall of the pillar. You will either need a spring puller, or you will have to make one. I used some garden wire and a pair of pliers.
    If you make one, the loop will need to fit through the middle hole in the mirror base.
    20180203_112803.jpg
    5. hook the loop to the bottom end of the mirror spring and feed the rest of the wire through the pillar (choose the smaller of the holes), then feed the wire through the middle hole of the mirror base.
    20180203_112915.jpg
    6. Push the pieces together
    20180203_113004.jpg
    7. wrap the wire around the pliers, hold the mirror upside down (so you can see the spring) and pull until the spring hooks over the mirror base.
    Congratulations you've fixed your mirror!
    Now you can reattach it to the bike :):motorcycleduc::motorcycleduc:

20180203_114833.jpg

20180203_114851.jpg

5. Good news. I craped myself when I brushed past my bike and the mirror fell off.

6. Useful tip -- at a glance the mounting looks as if it could be compatible.

I worry that the only "give" (apart from adjustment at the mirror head) appears to be the possibility of pivoting around the screw that fastens the stems to the mounting -- so catching the mirror at the wrong angle might bend your fairing bracket.

7. Brilliant. This has saved me trying to lash it together with a complicated and bound to fail bungee cord/additional hole drilling arrangement. Many thanks to you and my girlfriend for spotting it. (got to mention her because she’s pleased as punch for finding it)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information