1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St4s Immobiliser/ecu Issue

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by carsbikesboatsplanes, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Hi to all. A few years ago I posted a thread "Monster S4 will not start". For all you old hands you will remember that it ran and ran. It included every check you could think of plus a few red herrings thrown in just to test my patience to the limits (and beyond!).
    Well, after fixing it I vowed to never buy another Ducati. However, I still have the monster and in a moment of shear madness bought an ST4S for a run down to Italy.
    Well shaft me from the rear but it now has exactly the same issues as the Monster had.
    Either the immobiliser or the ECU (or both) have decided to remind me why I said I would never have another one.
    Does anybody have a pair for sale (with keys) or wants to re-program the ecu. It is the seperate immobiliser and ECU type (no "clocks") involved.
    I'm not quite ready to burn this latest pile of crap just yet!

2. Thanks. Mine is an earlier system but is very similar to one of those listed. Have tried all the usual, connectors, antenna, red key (unfortunately i don't have the code card), crank sensor. Its exactly as the monster, will sometimes fire but not run. The monster eas a failed ecu/immobiliser caused by a faulty voltage regulator.

3. Get the immobiliser disabled in the ECU with a reflash and unplug the extra box. Simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thread moved

5. Completely different vehicle but sometimes silly things work
    I have a VW beetle (2003) stood in the yard been there quite some time. Battery was flat. New battery fitted.
    Key in ignition turn on lots of flashing lights including flashing immobiliser
    Starts runs for a couple of seconds then cuts out.
    Long story short. I disconnected the battery and left it. When I went back forgot battery was disconnected.
    I left the key in the ignition then reconnected the battery. Went back everything was normal car starts and runs

I have since disconnected and reconnected the battery without key in the ignition and fault returns.
    So when I connect the battery the key has to be in the ignition

Might be worth a try

6. Thanks for your replies. Will try and get an immobiliser this week but if no joy I guess the ecu reflash would be the best solution.
    Andy (sorry, I lost your phone number) I guess your project is all up and running now. Best regards mate.
    Chris W and Finn too plus countless others who helped last time, best regards to all.
    Right......let the fun begin with this one!!!!!!! Damn Ducatis!!!

7. I have a virgin immo box you can try.

8. Thanks Chris, yes please that would be great. I've got the Ducati service info about the procedure. At least that would confirm its not the ecu.

9. Just to update anybody who has the same problem. My bike is fine now and the fault seemed to be a combination of corroded sockets within the immobiliser connector (in this case the pin for the wire that connects the immobilser to the ecu.) and also there was corrosion within the multiple pin connector outboard of the left front fork. The approx. 10cm long by 1cm wide one.
    This is a good place to start if you have the same issue. Incidently, electrical cleaner alone was not enough. I had to clean each pin and socket by gently scrapping them one at a time using a spare pin and socket together with plenty of cleaner.
    Recommend that you disconnect the battery before you do this and let the connectors fully dry before reconnecting!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. I had starting issues with my ST4s and went through all the normal aftermarket starter kit, check and clean connectors, check wiring... new this and new that, each thing I did, made it slightly better but never fixed the issue... I ended up buying an aftermarket ECU and it bypassed the immobiliser, so now I don't have to worry about the red key and many other issues it had... (for the life of me I can't remember which brand or where it came from...)

It is the Ducati difference... Italian electric

Do Not Sell My Personal Information