1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St4s Starting Issue

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Desmoquattro, Feb 6, 2017.

1. So I go to start her and if she doesn't start first time then the next button press and I get a very brief spin of the starter and then nothing. This has been intermitent over the time I have owned but now its pretty much everytime. I worked out that if I put it in gear and roll her forward until I feel compression then press the button I get the starter to engage properly, I have to sometimes repeat this action until shes running, putting into first, rolling forward till resistance, and back into neutral and starting.

What the heck is causing this wierd issue?

Cables upgraded and new battery

2. I don't lnow much about the ST4, But sprag, maybe?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I was considering this, however would the sypmtoms not be a constantly spinning starter as opposed to a very brief spin?

4. Probably not, the sprag is unlikely to fail 100% but will become weaker at certain points over time. So it will grip / spin / grip if that makes sense.

5. Ok, I have one from an SS, will check its the same and try it...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sprag.. it was exactly the same on my 749, changed it and all is hunky dory

7. Ok, thanks all

8. Its not the sprag. If I short the solenoid it turns over. Got a used solenoid, still just clicks and a very brief movement of the starter. Im perplexed...

9. I think I'm right in saying that on certain years of 4s the solenoid is activated through the ECU, so check the ECU is earthed properly.
    Have you checked that the solenoid is getting 12V?
    It could be something as simple as the contacts on the starter button are dirty or worn out, or the connector on the solenoid isn't making good contact and is warming up and going high-resistance.
    I'd check the simple (and usually cheap) things first!
    Does it make a difference if you pull the clutch in, to bypass the side-stand starter interlock switch?

10. Does your bike have an alarm/immobiliser?
    Prior to parking up my ST2 in 2013,I was plagued with an intermittent starting issue,similar to those you describe,(but not exactly the same).
    Last week I finally got around to uncovering it,bloody thing would not start except by shorting across the solenoid,even after finally fitting a new battery / upgrade cables and a new solenoid.
    I also took the alarm/immob.apart,(Datatool 3),to see if the rechargeable battery could be replaced but not possible as it's sealed in.
    So this morning I removed the alarm fuse,put jumpers across the starter and engine terminals,(inside the Datatool box itself),and bobs yer knob she fired up straight away on the button,repeatedly.Result!
    If you have a similar alarm might be worth giving it a go,although it means the bike won't be alarmed/immobilised any more

11. Could it be something as simple as slightly loose or corroded terminals, especially if this a problem that has arisen since your starter cable upgrade?

12. Thanks for all the suggestions and help, the latest is that the solenoid I had on was loose on one of the bolt terminals. I thought that changing this would fix it as it was obviously a weak point. After some headscratching I checked the battery, whih is good and it was slightly down on power from my failed starts. I charged up the battery and it seems to be starting ok. However I need to get it off the bench and out on a run to double heck its all good. The thread was weak on the bolt on the solenoid too so the cable was not that tight. Logic would dictate this was the issue and now th battery is charged up fully again it should be sweet. Its worth noting the solenoid is the same for various models. The one I got was for a monster. Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information