1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

st4s total cut out

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by mandem129, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Hi peeps,
    I've recently got myself a st4s. Love the bike grin factor 10,apart from having to replace the sprag clutch and having a dodgy fuel pump relay, hey ho at least I'm familiar with the bike. Anyway the problem I have now is that every time I'm a little to eager with my right hand and hit 10 grand the electrics cut out and it's a case of grab the clutch and switch the ignition off then on while dropping a couple of gears and normal service is resumed. Can lead to some intresting situations. Any solutions/ideas greatly appreciated.
    Marcus

2. Up around 10k, you're getting close to rev limiter country Marcus.

3. I agree nelly, but I've talked to other guys but none have suffered the symptoms I have, they just change up and carry on. The immobiliser light comes on when it happens so I was wondering if this have anything to do with it.

4. While it does just drop dead when it hits the rev limiter, the electrics should not cut out. There is definietly something up there.

I'd say you could ahve a dodgy immobiliser unit. Thankfully it is a discrete unit and can be changed on its own, as I had to do two years ago.

Get to a Duc service place, not necessarily a dealer and see if there's a fault code in the ECU, it might point you in the right direction.

A

5. Hi guys,
    Got prob sussed. So for future reference, change the main engine relay. Since I've done this when I hit the engine lmiter I change up a gear and everything is as it should be. It may not be the answer to all problens but it's a damm sight cheaper than a ECU unit. I owe Neil from cornerspeed thnaks for his help, a font of knowledge.

6. Good point on the shifting technique there.

Interested to know, though, what kind of power are you talking about?

Is it a 916 motor in an 851 chassis?

Cheers,
    A

7. 400lb!!! Ya lardy git! Reckon you need to lose another 30lb to get on terms with the Superlight :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pablo, Am i right in thinking Lardy git can copy and paste ? I'm sure i've read that post a 100 times LOL

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ouch! :biggrin:

10. Grandad all you seem to do is buy bits for it!!! Ohlins forks, 5 spoke wheels, titanium fastners, MBP collets, suspension re-valved for someone with no money your doing better than my cheque book could ever do :wink:

And I as I'm not a world renowned Ducati tuner or confess to being one I do what I can when I can, keeps me happy and love me 'Bandy' even if it wasn't built in a garden shed :upyeah:

11. Wow, that's quite a build, well done.

With the big twins it really does seem to be all about breathing though, as your capacity and rev range stay the same, the ability to flow more air, more efficiently has obviously paid dividends.

I reckon the ST4s 996 motor has a lot more to give as a combination of a slotted, as opposed to open air box, K&N filter, iridium plugs and a PCIII gave me 113 RWHP, when what I asked the dyno guy to do was optimise fuelling for smooth delivery across the range. There has been a nearly 10% increase at certain parts of the range and that peak figure. Torque has not increased massively, but there are a few ftlbs here or there above the usual.

But the smoothness of the power and the on/off throttle response have been massively improved, making it a lot more driveable in various scenarios.

Alas, can't seem to view pics on your other forum without registering, so if you could throw up a few here, that'd be cool!

A

12. Here's Grandad's 851,916,955,984 - I built it outta of shrapnel from a doddlebug in my outside privy!

steve851.jpg

steve851.jpg

13. Steve,
    i spent many a hour at mallory with Phil lapping R1 owners etc!
    Best ever was a 1198 owner who binned it trying to keep up with 2x 50 RWBHP bandy SS's :wink:

14. Well let's rise to the challenge even if this thread has gone a bit wayward from the start - Bit like Mr R's civvies! :biggrin:

'IIRC it also out guns your professionally tuned/built by CJS Racing ££££'s ST3 1,000cc motor?'

Quite happy with my professional built motor! And it's a glorious example that doesn't have special cams, bigger valves (Or to many!) lightened parts, corse clutch but still packs a punch - Outstanding work by Chris at CJS and I recommend him to anyone :upyeah:.

On the stats:
    Mr R's lardy 851,916,955,984 with its corse parts and extra valve!!! Makes 128Bhp & 77lb of torque, a very impressive output from a garden shed.................However!!!!!
    On the basis of weight my lil 'Bandy' makes 123Bhp & 78lb of torque (Compared to a standard 2valvers 73Bhp & 58lb of torque) & comes in at 167kg fully wet.
    So on weight alone the 'professional built motor' - but bike cobbled together in a garage in Callington (Not a lowly shed) by a submariner with no Ducati experience makes 133bhp and 84lb of torque!

I wonder what it would make with bigger valves (Will stay away from the extra ones as they weigh tooooo much!) Corse cams, light weight parts walldy, walldy, walldy ......and 2300cc big bore kit!!!
    Lil 'Bandy' keeping up with WSB derived road bikes......oh the shock :tongue:

paul.jpg

I shall wait for response :cool:

paul.jpg

15. Here's a bigger pic - wouldn't want some of the older members of the forum straining there eyes!

paul.jpg

paul.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Just nipping out to buy pop corn!

• Like Like x 2
  17. I see I should have put bigger text the 10Bhp is on a power to weight basis!

As for the dyno print out same dyno as yours shippers!

As for the frame the headstock is braced and Ti 12mm engine bolts hold the motor nice and tight. And as with all projects there's always problems on route.....as for the question

Didn't the more powerful as standard ST4/4S's have a frame derived from the late 888 one?
    I wonder why Ducati did that mate?

It was to cope with all that extra Lard those 4 valvers have to carry round!!!!!

18. Is that to help your power to weight ratio & your svelte Dani Pedrosa like physique??

19. ooooo a Ducati biatch fight....[​IMG] :biggrin:

20. l feel l must point out that l have been terribley missquoted by my good freind Mr R

har har

l did not use the word f#cker :upyeah:

l

#20 duc904red, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
Do Not Sell My Personal Information