1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St4s Vibration And Screen

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by carsbikesboatsplanes, May 7, 2019.

1. Hi all
    Just got my ST4S starting again and will be off to Spain on it for a good ride out.
    During a long trip last year (my first trip after just buying the bike) I found that my hands went numb from the engine "buzz" through the bars. Tried soft grips, soft gel type gloves which does help but the underlying issue is still there. all the engine mounts are in perfect condition and nothing touching the frame that shouldn't be. My S4 monster doesn't have this issue so it's not just a 2 cylinder thing.
    I guess the proper answer is an engine balance. Has anybody else had this and overcome it?

A second issue was the screen, the profile of it directs the wind blast at 80 plus right onto my head causing lots of wind noise. Anybody know of a good profile screen and the supplier?

Cheers all, Steve

2. Of coming up to 17 Years of ST4S ownership now this has always been there. Balancing does help but I found a well adjusted clean and lubed chain makes the most difference!. Have you changed the drive gearing as this shall take it our of the 5K bad spot?

3. That’s exactly as long as I’ve had my ST4s - I fired mine up the other day and took it for a little local trundle, and was so impressed by just how smooth it is. I put that down to always keeping the TPS synched properly - that doesn’t ahve to be far out for the vibes to start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. No, not adjusted the gearing. The chain is good and well lubed.
    The vibration is high frequency. When you shut the throttle and pull the clutch in at high speed the vibration diminishes significantly. If I rev the throttle with the clutch held in you can feel the vibration increase.
    There is another vibration much lower frequency which appears to be an out of balance front wheel so will get that sorted. That one causes a handle bar wobble decelerating from 50 down to 40 with hands off the bars. It would turn into a tank slapper if you let it.
    Think it may be time for the bike to pass on to the next person as its not really suitable for long trips as it is.

5. I found winter style gloves help better than sports type gloves.

6. Have you searched out for heavier bar end weights ? I suffer from tingly hands/fingers when riding, worse on twins and found the heavier bar end weights take quite a lot of the buzzing/vibration out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes, have tried anti-vibration gloves and they help a bit. Tried experimenting with bar weights incl no weight and lumps of lead but no joy there. That trick seems to work better with hollow tube bars I think rather than this type. Thanks for replies.

8. Joining this a bit late, but my ST4S seems particularly vibey when I get into 6th gear, up to about 6k revs, then it feels like the rest of the time. Is that indicative of anything? Also, Johnny mentions "5k bad spot", tell me more

9. ...why have I got an American flag on my thingy???

10. Plus one on the tps reset.
    I was amazed at the difference it made to my 999. People talk about how their bike feels better after a service - I reckon it's the tps reset that's doing that.
    You can get a gizmo and adapter from Lonelec for 20 quid or so and the software is free.
    I was told by Derek to reset every year...

11. Throttle position sensor I'm guessing?

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information