1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St4s Water Pump Cover

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Davdog1, Oct 14, 2017.

1. DSC_0440.JPG Heyup.... I'm looking at the engine cover and its rank. Gonna take it off and spray it. Is there anything I need to be careful about regarding the water pump and cover? I've not got a workshop manual so just want a bit of reassurance that I can strip everything off without concern for springs and whatnot flirting about

2. After you remove the hoses and screws the cover comes straight off. There is nothing in there except the impeller. There is a gasket but it should be plastic covered metal and should be re-useable. Once you have got the corrosion off use an etching primer before re-painting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks Derek. I've removed everything but the side case refuses to budge. Will I only get this off with a puller or will gentle rubber hammer attention do it? Watched the you tube vid from another thread on here and the guy has a fancy blue puller...

4. Ah. Sorry I was reading the title and think your were simply taking off the water pump cover. To get the complete alternator cover off you need to make sure all the screws are out. There is one hiding below the clutch slave cylinder that is easily missed a it is usually covered in gunge. Once you are sure all the screws are out the cover should come off although they can be a bit tight since it locates on a couple of dowels. A few gentle taps with a rubber hammer usually does it but if not you may need to improvise a puller. When you are putting it back together make sure that the tab on the impeller shaft is lined up with the slot in the end of the crossover shaft.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks again Derek. Yep I'm happy all the bolts are out. I've ordered a puller off fleabay. Tried gentle persuasion but I know where it's going to end. Funnily enough not even the water pump cover will shift so I've left it be for now and moved onto cleaning/degreasing and removing other bits ready for paint. You know when you say to yourself "well if i've taken that bit off I might as well do that bit....." etc etc

6. DSC_0443.JPG DSC_0444.JPG
    So Alternator cover off with puller but still can't get the water pump cover off... Am I being thick here? External screws are out but it seems to be stuck fast

7. It is probably just stuck with gasket goop. Try tapping it with a rubber mallet.

8. change that bearing while you are there

9. I removed my alternator casing last year fo painting cause it was in nearly the same state as yours.
    Just one year later and I really regret not striping it right down and getting it shotblasted.i used stripper and rubbed it down fully but that wasn’t enough as it has already started to bubble underneath the paint. Also used etching primer and built the paint up in thin layers.
    It is a bit of a ball ache taking the bearings out but if your not in a rush to get the case back on, get it shotblasted first.

Ian

10. I found on my old tl1000s, I simply bought a second hand set of casings, got them professionally stripped back and coated. Then it was a simple swap over and got the second set done too when they were off. Straight swap, bish bash bosh

11. Yep right again. Cover now off with subtle blend of Psychology and extreme violence :)
    Will also be getting it shot blasted by a mate at work next week will post pics before and after
    Again thanks for the help

12. Yep right again. Cover now off with subtle blend of Psychology and extreme violence :)
    Will also be getting it shot blasted by a mate at work next week will post pics before and after
    Again thanks for the help

13. Oh I used to have a TL1000S couple of years ago. Most fun I've had on 2 wheels for years!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DSC_0450.JPG DSC_0453.JPG DSC_0461.JPG

So finally finished this bit. Not perfect but loads better than before. Blasted, 5 coats of etch primer and several coats of Halfords Aluminium engine paint.
    If anyone is in the Stafford/Midlands area I will happily pass on details of the media blaster. He's well cheap and very thorough.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information