Featured 748 Stable Complete….for Now…!!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Mark996, Jun 10, 2024.

1. Hi all, so here we have it - finally got my hands on a 748 and I plumped for an ‘02 plate bike with just 4100 miles from new!!

there’s a bit that needs/wants doing to it, but it’s a cracking base to start from, and having only really ever ridden 996’s previously, I’m more than happy with it from what I can tell from the hour and half it took me to ride it home!!

upload_2024-6-10_14-8-21.jpeg

• Like Like x 18
  2. ive always hankered for an sp1 or sp2
    more photos?
    keen to see how it feels compared to the sp2

3. Mine is an SP-2 mate, a late 06 on an ‘07 plate….this is my second as I used to own one when I lived in Portugal and used to race Ducati’s!! (…around 20yrs ago now - where did THAT time go?! )

I’ve ridden both the SP-1 and SP-2…in short, the SP-1 on standard fuelling is an absolute pigs to ride at lower speeds…the 2 not only has faaaaaar better fuelling as standard, but the swingarm, suspension internals and slightly higher compression make it a much much better bike…

I love it - just as thumping as a 996/998 and from someone who raced those, equally as quick around a track, but with added Honda build quality and a hand built HRC engine.

4. I used to have an SP1 back in the day and never had the issues with the low speed fuelling I hear so much about. I used to commute on it about 120miles a day. Loved it. Looking for another or an sp2 but prices are daft considering what you can get now for the money.

5. how much can i get an sp2 for?

6. 10-12 grand I’d guess at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. added to the xmas list then

8. Yeah that’s about ball park for a decent SP-2…SP-1s are slightly cheaper….

I wouldn’t part with mine for less than £11k as it’s pretty much showroom condition!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nice, was that the one that was on Ebay? It didn't meet it's reserve?

10. Yes that’s the one - seller was only about an hour from where I live, so I had a good chat with him and managed to do a deal outside of eBay…great result in the end and a lovely bloke.
    Bike had been stood for a long long time though, so as I say, a few minor bits need sorting, but for the ride back from his to mine, it didn’t miss a beat - ride beautifully…albeit on crap, old, rock hard tyres that need replacing….flew straight through an MOT though on the way back to mine!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Like @RC1 I like the idea of an SP Honda. How do the ergonomics (i.e. riding position) compare?

12. It's a larger and wider bike than other V-Twins. I found them quite comfortable at 5'8''.

13. The riding position is similar to a 748/916/996 etc, but the clutch is much much much kinder to use than the OEM Ducati one, so overall not as hard on your wrists…

nice wide tank too, so easy to grip under hard braking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Additionally, if you’re anywhere near Nottingham, you’re welcome to come have a go on my SP-2….

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thanks for the kind offer, bit of a trek from Suffolk though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information