1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stalling Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by 98 SPS, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Monster S2r (800, so wet clutch) been stood all winter, starts fine but stalls as soon as you engage a gear.
    Just fishing for a shortcut in case anyone has come across this before.
    Bike starts with sidestand down, there is wiring to the sidestand so if it is a cut-out switch its not working.
    Going to take the slave cyl off now to check all is well in there.

2. Clutch switch?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dont you just love leccy probs?

• Like Like x 1
  4. The clutch switch will allow the starter to engage if the bike is in gear, it has no other function. The stand switch will cut the ignition if the stand is down AND it is in gear. If the bike is in neutral it will start regardless. Check the stand switch.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clutch switch! Tis a fancy gadget! I don't own anything this new (2005). But it is fine.

Solution - sidestand cutout switch only actions when you engage gear!!
    Got there before I came back online to read Derek's post.
    Thankyou all for joining today's head scratching session.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I have had the tangs on the side stand switch fail on my 748 which resulted in the symptom you describe where the switch was not rotating with the stand, easy to diagnose - just need to take it off (8mm bolt iirc). If it is that, you can rotate it into the side stand up position then stow it onto the frame or somewhere safe and ride the bike with no issues awaiting a replacement (they are around £50)

7. Check your S2R, you will find you have a clutch switch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I found the clutch switch thanks Chris.
    It is the girlfriend's bike, much newer than anything I own.

The bottom line on this one is stop buggering about in the shed, get out and ride it!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information