1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Stalling.

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by yellowducmaniac, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Taking advantage of the early spring-like weather this morning i took my 1198S for a spin, it ran well and i enjoyed the ride until i stopped at a level crossing waiting for a train, after two or three minutes of idling the bike stalled, restarted ok on the button and after the train had passed carried on ...until i had to stop for traffic lights ,again a couple of minutes and it stalled again,restarted and rode home and left the bike idling in my garage for a good 5 minutes and all was well....thoughts please?...never had this happen on my old 999S, a bit worried that it could stall mid corner...gulp!

2. Mine does that sometimes, only from idle - never had it happen when riding along. Thankfully. Interested to hear if there is an issue.

3. Have had it happen twice two. Usually in cold weather too. Both times it’s been below 10 degree air temp and idling.

4. This needs a tps reset or an adjustment. Take it to a dealer.

My old 1198 did this. Although predominantly when stopped at idle, it did get me as a was idling to a stop at end of my road. I nearly dropped bike as I was at a bit of lean.

Mine was cured completely by Chris at CJS Dyno. WM Snells had adjusted it prior to that which 90% eradicated it, but it would still do it sometimes. But when I had Chris set it up on his dyno, it never occured again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Useful ...i Didnt notice what the specific air temp was but it was pretty cool, i'll keep an eye on things and see if it happens when the weather gets warmer... i plan to take it in for a belt change in the spring and i'll mention TPS settings to my tech.

6. Good point actually. After mine was setup in June 2018 it never reoccurred. So probably is TPS

I always had the impression it was ‘flooding’ with fuel on idle, it would be that slow chug to a stop that you used to get with carbs.

7. Fuel? How long was it standing?

I'd be tempted to drain it, put it in your mower (assuming it's not electric :bomb:) and treat your pride and joy to some finest 98RON. :)

8. I would also suggest stale fuel / water in tank. I always use Briggs and Stratton Fuel Fit in the tank in the winter when I'm not riding much, it keeps the fuel fresh. 10ml per litre when you fill up with fuel. Allegedly keeps fuel good for three years. Always works in my mower too!

9. I always use 98ron super unleaded and I had just put a tenners worth in it; my guess is tps as mentioned above.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information