1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Standard 998 Or A 748r

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Phill748, Mar 23, 2017.

1. With a theoretical budget of 7k, would you buy a 748R (Ohlins Model) or a standard 998?

I have a 748R in my garage, it's my mates and he wants to sell it but also there is a 998 for sale for similar Money. Here are the +/- points that I can see...

748 minus points

- The 748R is by nature pretty tempremental; boggy low speed fuelling
    - Cambelts every year (both negative points).
    - Potentially not powerful enough, although I had a 899/848 also and power isn't something I care about really now
    - The fuelling needs more work to get it to a decent level, Ultimap and time spent fiddling even though it's perfect once on the move (and I mean perfect!)

748 Plus points

+ Looks and Heritage and rarity being a 'badged' special.
    + Great traditional twin power delivery, with shorter gearing on the road it deceives at how quick it can be compared to peaky newer twin engines.
    +Ohlins is really nice, even if it's not up to the modern standards, it's definately better than the Showa stuff.

998 Minus Points

- There isn't one sat in my garage that I know all the history of and have ridden many times
    - The standard 998 engine is likely to be much more 'vibey' than the 748r which honestly has little to no 'chug' factor.
    - I haven't seen an 'S' come up in ages and if so it would probably be closer to £10k now.

998 Plus Points

+ Testestretta engine, 120HP in stock form which is bang on for what I would want on the road
    + Last of the generations of 916/998 and reportedly really reliable generally.

So, what would you guys do? I am trying for a promotion at work and just finished paying for my wedding this year so I have a little while to make my mind up, and I know my mate would want to sell the 748r to me first. It's not a super cheap one though because it's clean.

2. Can't decide, then get both :) they are only going North in value...

• Like Like x 1
  3. This day last year I bought a mint 02 998 14500 on the clock and the week before I looked at a 748r not as tidy with 22000 on the clock and €1000 more , decided to go for the 998 in the end as I also have a 748s in the garage but I am happy I made that choice . Which ever bike you choose your not gonna go wrong they are two stunning bikes

4. The 748R is a crap road bike to be honest (great on track), the 998 with a remap would be my choise, but if you just want to look at it in the garage go for the 748r.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. My view is it comes down to your personal preference of which bike you prefer.

The reality is that these kind of bikes are relatively expensive to maintain and will probably test your patience on occasion. Which one will you be able to forgive for this the most?

I would suggest that any profit from an increase in value is likely to be offset by running costs/servicing anyway - so pick the one that does it for you and use and enjoy it :sunglasses:

6. Thanks some good points! I have to say that I would have another 848 Evo for a balance of character and cost of running but actually I think the 748 is a better fit for me arm stretch wise, and the 848 was really horrid until it got into it's stride which I sort of think the 998 will be like.

I am trying to keep the budget to £6k ish because if I had £9-10k I wouldn't have sold my 899, and want something that is more 'classic' and that I can tinker with

7. Without trying to be contrary, my 748R (112 rwhp with PS3) is a very involving and engaging road bike. Okay, not at 30mph although a sproket change can make it more town friendly. In a real world run off main roads, the 748 leaves a good proportion of the "big" bikes behind. Okay I'm more fortunate than some to have the choice of the 748R and a 1098R but I'd have huge fun on either. Andy

8. Never ridden either but to hazard a guess/if it were me:
    To know it's in the garage, look at, polish, talk to people about, admire at the cafe, etc - 748R.
    To actually ride - 998.
    When you're looking at your 998 you'll wish it was the 748R but when you're riding your 748R you'd wish it a 998.
    Or not.
    Happy to help.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Yours may be a crap road bike Andy but a wrong generalisation in my view!

I bought a new one in '02 which from the factory was nearly spot on, a bit of time setting it up and even with a standard Eprom was a superb road bike! none of the stalling complained about! what's not to like? full Ohlins, superb brakes, revvy, smooth engine, adequate performance a tad uncomfortable as you get older I must admit:D

Ten years later, aquisition of another 02 model confirms that in my view they are brilliant! but as with all Ducatis and to date after 19 of them, setting TPS, throttle sync. and CO can transform a rough, stuttering tiring beast into what they should be!

I purchased a low mileage 848 a couple of years ago that had a smaller front sprocket fitted, power commander 5 set up on a dyno by a 'racing' concern and was awful to ride, no wonder the guy sold it, took off the PC, set it up and behold a superb bike to ride, pulled smoothly from low revs and was enjoyable to ride.

10. I love my 748R. Great to look at, when you are on the move its awesome, round town stuck in traffic can be unpleasant at best. I certainly don't find it underpowered. Handles great, brakes are great, sounds great....Is it comfy, no not really, is it fun, hell yeah. My 899 I can sit sit on for hours, the 748 probably not. Would I go for a 998...yup, would I choose a 748R over the 998S, yes i think i would. Both have massive character but one says "R"
    Whichever you go for will be a labour of love and won't be especially cheap to maintain. If you have the 748R in front of you and you know its history I'd personally lean towards it....

11. Urm, I think you have attributed the Cookster's post to me. I lurrve my 748R. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  12. Does a PC3 actually improve things low down then? It's on an ultimap at the mo but MR couldn't reprogram it because the bridge doesn't seem to be working properly, they set the TPS and the CO2 up and it's better but still not perfect!

Sounds like the common view is get a 748r! The weird thing is that it doesn't 'feel' any slower than my 899, because my 899 needed 8k+ revs to start feeling quick, the 748 is well in its stride by then! Especially with shorter gearing

13. I used to run an Ultimap chip on a 748sp based 853cc and it was there or there abouts. I tried my 748R on both a 50mm half system and a full 996sps 50mm system and the half system with a JHP eprom for the half system and PC3 worked the best. Chris Steedman is currently the only person I know in the UK offering a dyno mapped eprom as it is very old school IT by modern standards. I currently run an 853RS eprom bought from Tom Irvin which as a base setting is very good but (until the PC3 failed) the PC3 really smoothed things out. Andy

14. The other thing that occurs to me is that you know the 748R and any other bike you are going to have to take on trust. That counts for a lot in the peace of mind stakes. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Phil, don't waste time with the pc3, get Chris (CJS) to remap the stock eprom, all of those irritations in the lean zone up to 5k can be dealt with, tick over issues eliminated and smooth power and torque can be achieved. As for the 998, not sure what your 848 was like but if the 998 has an engine like my 999 it is a lazy beast low down and just needs accurate set up (again preferably not on a pc3). Before you ask, I have used pc3s, JHP and 'other' generic open can eproms and was never that satisfied with them. Then Chris did my 748s and released 15% more torque and power. This was from a standard 748 allowing it produce as much power as a stock out of the box 748r. As to which bike, if you want a bike for a blast go for the 748r, if you want something for longer rides or more regular use go for the 998.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Very true, he has just spent £1500 on sprag clutch, service and all the set up stuff, my plan would be to get the injectors cleaned next winter if I was to buy it and service the suspension and it will be great. The PC3 sounds like a good option though as ultimap is getting hard to find people to work on it as u say.

17. My apologies Andy:( will buy you a coffee when I next see you at MR:smileys:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. On the assumption you go with the 748R, might I suggest replacing the original injectors with the purple banded 848 injectors ? A great improvement in fueling going from a 3 hole to a 12 hole injector. I picked up a complete air box off ebay for £60 so a fairly cheap upgrade. Andy

19. :upyeah:. Andy

20. Don't you need to change the loom and remap more significantly?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information