1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standard Wheels On An Sps

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by Desmophil, Oct 14, 2020.

1. I am looking to return an SPS to more standard. It is currently on Marchesinis 5 spokes, and this is not right to me because the 5 spokes was really on the 888 Corse which is more aligned to the SP5.

I think that the SPS is better on 3 spokes. I am however unclear if the SPS came with the standard brembo 3 spokes as per the SP4 (and where they black???) or if they came with other 3 spokes like Marvics or early Marchesinis?? It feels to me like many owners would have potentially upgraded rather than those coming as standard.

Does anybody on here knows?
    thanks
    p

2. The SPS had the same 3 spoke Brembo alloys as the Strada and SP models.
    ...and they were Black.

Steve R

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. thanks for confirming - just what I thought too. But since many of those bikes have gone on aftermarket wheels, it was hard to get a clear picture.

4. Back in the day the hot poop wheels to fit were 3 spoke Magnesium Marvic Streamlines.
    Marvic were still making them to order recently, I bought a pair for my 851 about 2 years ago.

Steve R

5. Thanks - I was looking at that too. How much are reproductions of those?

6. As I run different OD spindles and a longer modified ST4S swinging arm with a 6" rear rim, I had mine custom made they came in around £2.5K inc' 3 anodised alloy sprockets, postage etc.
    A lot of cash but they were the final pieces to see my 851/955's wet weight get down to 350lbs.

Steve R

#9 Steve Robins, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 5AC72AAB-7557-4F52-8AD4-E46D9BC8F8FF.jpeg 95DE24D0-2931-41C9-A00F-4AF3EACDBD8E.jpeg 3278DA59-F071-4A83-ADE4-26AB47F93AE3.jpeg Should look like these

• Like Like x 4
  8. Just leaf those 5 spokes in it,they look so much beter then the stock 3 spokes.

Henk!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Can you please load up a picture of your current Marchesinis's wheels please.:thinkingface:

10. Thanks for the pictures - nice and VERY clean!! :)
    God those Brembo fully floaters have never been touched by a brake pad have they! :)

For those that are interested, I am thinking of:
    - Getting the sps on standard wheels and likely a set of 3 spoke Marvic as shared (which are more period for the bike)
    - Getting the marchesinis 5 spokes on the sp4

Sorry no photos for now as the bike is still at jhp.

I am still unsure about keeping the back on 25mm axle or moving it back to 17mm (which would have to be if I go with the standard wheels)

11. If you want to return the bike to standard? Then 17mm spindles is the way to go.
    But if you want to ride the bike to it's maximum potential then stick with the 25mm rear spindle and increase the front spindle to 20mm.
    The later 888/926cc Corse bikes had 20mm front and 23mm rear spindles.

Steve R

Do Not Sell My Personal Information