1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Starship Enterprise Vs Tiefighters At Oulton Park

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by bradders, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Well that’s what it felt like!

After my Donington experience last week (one I have yet to be ready to talk about) I was very nervous about taking my Multi to Oulton Park for 2 days in the fast group with a bunch of servicemen who have little to worry about… And Mr Ali T and the Donkey Cranker had offered me a few sessions on theirs if I needed it.

So with pragmatism and a touch of doubt, I packed up the Multi and headed to Oulton to see how many sessions I could blag on someone else’s kit. OMCC were helpful as normal, and I swapped to inters where I felt my pace and obstructive lines would be of less trouble.

The one major concern was tyres. After last week proving Scorpions aren’t the best (no, I’m not talking about it!) I took my new set of supercorsa that I bought for the triumph,. Knowing push to shove I could put that rubber on. But the intention was to give them to Ali to put on his triumph if we shared his bike.

Morning session, I was mega nervous in all corners and especially slow ones, and yet the tyres were still being worn to the edge. After some garage advice, I took an arse-raping and paid £50 (yes, that’s pounds not wotsits!) to the bloke who was there to change my tyres. As always, its never smooth, and having no rear stand was no problem as I had a centre stand and did bring a front stand J Except that lifted it too high and was unusable..and my SCs needed heat. Improvisation with a clipon end as a prop and sorted.

What a difference! Straight away far more confident and easier to ride, no TS lights and where and rarely being passed by anything in the group (except a lovely RC30 and an Aprilia, Aprilia would pass me day 2 too, the RC wouldn’t ;) )

So I sepnt 1 ½ days ragging the DVT around Oulton, using all the rear off the edge of a race SC tyre, leaving bits of centre stand, both pegs and half a boot (leather included I notice today) and a lot of rubber and amazed tiefighter pilots ;)

But what was it like? Well, skyhook is awesome but up the hill under the bridge I was having to short shift a bit and roll off, as the bike was lifting the front and weaving and slapping about the bars (can see it in some of the vids). The brakes were mega, and the whole bike was floating day 2 into the chicanes and t1 live a sea-going liner on a 50’ wave…and feck me was it fun!! Looked good from pitwall too apparently ;)

The old Multi was better on track, no question. This one is far too compliant even on HARD settings and feels out of control on the edge. Its way better with good tyres (note: junk the scorpions if you are doing a trackday!). It needs to be in the right gear, it cant just grunt out at 6k.

As good fun as it was, would I do another? Not by choice. I’ll stick to the roads, thanks J

I lost all of yesterdays video, which is annoying as I know one of the guys was doing 2’02 and I was following and videoing him and going quite a bit quicker than day 1 (a gear higher almost everywhere…yeah yeah..) but feel free to watch them when I manage to get them on YouTube, I’ll link here image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like Like x 16
  2. A Multi more reliable on a track than a 675. Who would've thunk it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. alas a little less ground clearance...

4. So it's true then bradders, the red one is faster than the white one ;)
    Good report by the way and well impressed with the mess your tyres are in :upyeah:

5. black will be faster...

luckily I had bought 180/60 which is like a 190/55 ish for size so nice tall shoulder on the wider rim still. Found tho that it would be 28 off the warmer and 32 when coming in so had to drop it a few times. Tyre looks great tho, so skyhook working well :)

• Agree Agree x 1

6. Bit slow but fun :)

• Like Like x 4
  7. I'm a big fan of starship piloting on track, kind of wish I convinced you to swap for a session now :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. seeing your video, so do I!! :)

9. I can't believe that no ones asked yet! What happened at Donnington that your so desperate to talk about?

I did that day and had a great time on my scorpions at the back of the novice group :smiley:

10. Looking good

11. +1 :)

12. 4 min 50 gets a bit naughty ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. That happened to me at Oulton on my 1098 - a GSXR went under at the 1st corner blocking off the apex, I brushed the lever and locked the front, ran onto the paint but stayed off the grass - needed new leathers after that!!

14. The starship gets a nice shimmy on over clay hill doesn't she? :)

15. Oh yeah! 230kg of shimmy. Enough to make a rockerbilly re-quiff. 2nd day even more as I was going a bit quicker

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bugger! If I'd have known there was a set of super corsas in it I'd have let you out for a session or 2!

It was a great couple of days and we all enjoyed ourselves in the garage and came out in 1 piece......must be a first!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Managed quite a few back to back under 2 minutes on my old multi round oulton , know what you mean about it feeling a bit ragged on the edge though
    Not quite as stable as the old bike on chat
    Looks like you had fun though

18. No it certainly isnt. Its lost that supermoto/sportsbike element for sure. I think I was as quick in the wet at Doni as the dry (different tyres)

And under 2 on a multi you must have either had high resets or been hanging off like leon camier lol mine had everything down every corner by lunchtime day 2 and wasnt (I dont think) under 2 min

19. Not quick enough on the straights then bradders :)

20. True. Must try harder. Mind you, are there any straights?! Lol

Was a bit hairy when the front and rear are lifting and the traction is kicking off and the bars are waggling about. Became fun after a few sessions :)

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information