1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Start Issue

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Torchy, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Just had the MOT done.
    Bought the bike home, in the garage. Next day, would not start.
    It does not call the starter relay.
    To cut a long story short, The mechanic cannot find anything wrong with the wiring or contacts. eg side stand etc. But he has given me an error code of P0170. which his system doesn't identify.
    Anyone any idea what this means or possible causes??

2. The error code could be a red herring and left over from the non-starting. Did he clear the error codes and then recheck.
    Is the fuel pump priming?
    How old is the battery, is it in good condition and is it fully charged?
    When was the injector/pump/coil relay last changed?
    Doe the bike crank if the starter solenoid is bridged?

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Same questions as above. I've just had a similar situation on my 749R. No error codes, just stopped running all of a sudden. When you switch the ignition on, there was no noise from the fuel pump or the solonoid. It would crank over so not the immobiliser and the fuel pump had power. So it was either the pump or relay - fortunatley it was the relay.

The ignition / fuel pump relay in the back of the battery box next to the ECU. It was full of water and rusty contacts so the terminal needed cleaning with sand paper and dental sticks and I needed a new £5 relay. Appearently it's common as they're subjet to water ingress that comes through off the front wheel and gets between the battery box and heat shield. Plan to reroute the wiring over winter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Thanks Guys, Ill give those a try. First I'll check what the workshop has done.

5. As asked earlier - does the pump prime (make a noise) when the ignition is switched on?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information