1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Started Button

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by slumdog, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Starter button only works on the twenty (or there abouts ) attempt on my 05 999 . Shall I spray it with wd ??
    Also charge indicator states 12.8 or so for about a minute then 00 !
    What to do .....

2. Does the starter turn at all, or do you just get a click and the dash resets? If you don't have your battery on an Optimate/Ctek charger, give it a good recharge then try again. If not, I'd change the battery (MDS do the Yuasa one for about £40) they always lose their efficiency when its colder and the Ducati needs a good punchy battery to turn the engine over. I'd then check all the high current cables, clean all contacts and give them a smear of dielectric grease. I'd also add a second earth to a bolt near the starter, this is a good thing to do anyway all the high current cables are only just good enough from new. If that fails, then strip down the switch and clean the contacts. I assume your model has the servo start? Spare here on e-bay DUCATI 749R RIGHT SIDE SWITCH STARTER AND KILLSWITCH 749 999 749S 999S 749R 999R | eBay

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Thanks for that . Will get the switch as I thought its the contact within ..

4. I had similar problem and it was RHS starter switchgear that was slightly corroded inside. Once spraid, it is ok now.

Use electric contact cleaner and not WD40. WD40 leaves a residue that once breaks down, will oxidise contacts. More reading here:
    Never use WD-40 for electrical connections. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Contact cleaner completely vaporates (most of them are IPA based) and washes off dissolved dirt and gunk. Some of them however keeps protective film. Loctite manufactures good contact cleaner : Contact 7039 contact spray.

And for the love of god, please do not use petrol jelly to waterproof it. No matter what everyone says to you. People confuse application of contact jelly by packing it inside terminal housing and switches. Petroleum Jelly is meant to be applied over the assembly, not internally to prevent oxidization. It is a good insulator, so when people coats battery terminal from all sides and then bolt them together, they are creating spot with high resistance that does no good. Petroleum Jelly was around for ages, and we have made better products since. Petroleum Jelly when heated or sheared upon making contact carbonises and leaves black residue that only worsens contact surface.

Speaking of WD40,I might be slightly biased, as I hate WD40 to the last bit of my bone. People use it for lubing chain which is wrong use as it swells o-ring, your chain even comes with instructions not to use petroleum based lubricants which WD40 certainly is.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. like I said,dielectric grease on the terminals (after they are cleaned and connected). Deffo not in the switch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Take the Duke's advice! Don't buy a switch first...

7. most brands of contact cleaner need to be used sparingly as they all contain an 'aggresive' ingredient or they wouldn't do the job they were designed for. I have seen plastic stained permanently (black becomes grey) and corrosion on unplated surfaces/return springs if overused.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Anything with Acetone will eat plastic like you'd not believe. It also strips some paint quite nicely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yup, they put it in small bottles and call it nail varnish remover. Also perfect for taking melted plastic off exhausts...

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information