1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter Button Delay And Sticking Throttle

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, Dec 3, 2018.

1. #1 Starter Button delay

An old issue has returned. When I press the starter button, it seems like there is nothing there.
    It's not a battery issue as that is fully charged and shows good voltage.
    However, if I keep the button pressed in, after a few seconds the starter begins to turn and the bike comes to life. I'm not sure how to investigate the cause. I wonder if it could be a problem with the starter button itself. It seems to be an intermittent problem.

#2 Sticking Throttle

Just noticed that the throttle grip isn't returning/springing back to it's normal position.
    It feels sticky, and has to be physically wound back in. Is this likely to be the throttle cable or the internals of the grip itself? What's the best course of action, strip the whole thing down?

Any advice greatly appreciated..

2. Not sure about the starter button. Could you have poor connections to starter motor or earths. Do you have upgraded cables to the motor or the battery?
    Re the throttle grip not springing back. The last time I had this issue was down to the amount of crud sticking to the return spring between the carb bodies. Very difficult to even see let alone to get to without having the airbox off. Maybe a good spray of WD40 aimed up between the carbs might help

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Is the starter solenoid clicking right away but with a delay in the starter turning or does nothing happen at all when you press the button to start with?
    Sticky throttle could be muck at the carbs as suggested above, cables need lubed or no free play in the cables.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. As Derek says, if there's a delay before the solenoid clicks then it's the switch. Otherwise solenoid, wiring or motor. It sounds like the switch to me.

Cables as above, I would remove them at the carb end and check for free play by twisting the throttle, that will tell you which end the problem is at, carb or cable. Make sure cables are lined and that they run without kinks anywhere as this can pinch them inside.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. My ST2 did the same with the starter button. Pres the button, count to 5 and then the starter turned. It did it for years with no problem. I connected a car battery with jump leads and it still did it. I put new brushes in the starter motor and it still did it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sticking throttle - get hold of the rubber grip and force it away from the twistgrip cable housing, so that grip doesn't actually touch the housing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Thanks everyone
    Same as Bob's scenario, so it sounds like switch then.
    I'll follow the suggestions and report back..

• Like Like x 2
  8. I had a similar issue recently (999). Changed the battery as that was over 4 years old but the problem persisted. It seems fine now after opening the switch and dosing with a good blast of contact cleaner first, and then WD after.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Well I did manage to hoik out the airbox and access the mechanism where the throttle cables meet the carbs.. Crud city. Plenty of WD sprayed around there seems to have improved things quite a bit. Maybe it's worth replacing the actual cables themselves with new. Not unreasonable for a 23 year old bike.

I haven't had time to sort the starter button yet. I really want to take everything apart and make it like new, and reassemble.

Thanks all, once again, for your excellent advice.

IMG_6802.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  10. Or the bar end...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. That’s how my brand new Scrambler was supplied to me, PDI checks eh!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information