1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter Motor Stuck On!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by wadesnj, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Rode 50 miles to Fishguard this morning, when I switched the bike off, the starter motor carried on cranking and wouldn't stop. Kill switch did nothing, had to ride 50 miles home and disconnect the battery to get it to stop! I don't know if the starter was running continuously while I was riding, couldn't hear it over the engine noise. Anybody know what might have happened??

2. Sorry, forgot to say, 2004 Monster 1000Sie

3. what a total pain, you did well to get away with it, I can't say 100% of course but it's nearly always the starter solenoid jamming in the 'on' position. Bike not used for a while? Tightening the two large terminals down too hard can produce the same effect but more likely just light corrosion.

it's probably this one:-

[​IMG]

#3 Chris, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Or the button....when i was building the cb125 last week my mate tightened the starter button down too much which caused it to stick...half a turn and some WD40 and it was good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks for that, most likely I guess, I recently had an Exact Start cable kit fitted, maybe my nechanic overtightened them when he fitted the new cables. It appears to be easy to get at, so I might have a look as my mechanic is away all next week (sod's law, of course) I wondered if it might be the "one touch" starting on this model that might have malfunctioned... But only speculation. Perhaps @Exige can shed some light.

6. I didn't know yours had the one-touch, that's a real possibility, as is the starter button also as already said.

7. I would imagine the solenoid has stuck tbf as Chris says, Never heard of any issues with one touch starting causing constant running - all 749's and 999's have it too...

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have now though :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. As I have the battery disconnected, I presume I can check for continuity across the battery to starter terminals on the solenoid? If there is, the solenoid is stuck on?
    Thanks Stu, I hope it is just the solenoid! I know you're just winding me up, it's more likely that Steve Wells at Zen may have overtightened! Keeping my fingers crossed. I hate to think what a problem with one touch would mean..

10. Re: Continuity test, yes, good idea.

I have the same starter system on two uglies and it’s yet to play up on either of them, no idea how it works as never had to investigate.

11. OK, so did the continuity test, first time I tested it showed 547 ohms, so not open circuit as it should be. But when I went back and did it again to take a picture for you guys, it was showing o/c which is what it should be! Confused.com. Guess I should replace the solenoid anyway. IMG_20190413_182134.jpg

12. Will PM you, it’s easier

13. Is there a non-genuine replacement for the solenoid? I mean not at Ducati parts prices, like my Vauxhall Agila oil pressure switch!

14. So I guess the part no 39740021A described as "remote switch" is what I want. Although I can't see the other leads that switch the solenoid in this diagram. On the bike there appears to be a connector block and two thin black leads that go to the side of the solenoid. Screenshot_20190413-185925.png

15. They changed the Hitachi solenoid to a different type with a fuse within it on later due catty, this is a more common unit used on Hondas et cetera. I’m not aware of any pattern part replacement that is a straight fit, but someone else may have come across one. Basically, any 12 V solenoid will do, it’s just that you then have to change the tiny plug that actuates it and make arrangements to strap the solenoid in place.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks Chris, I'll try your fettling instructions first before replacing. I notice they don't show the actuating lead and plug in the parts diagram although I assume this comes with the solenoid?

17. This looks very similar, but I can't wait for it to be delivered from Hong Kong! Think I'll give Snells a call on Monday if Chris's fettling tip doesn't work Screenshot_20190413-194232.png

18. actually - come to think of it ive got a spare relay from my hypermotard (1100) - would that do the job? your welcome to test it first if you want...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hi Comfy, many thanks for the offer - does it look the same, with the actuator lead and plug (although not shown in the parts list)? If so, I'd like to try it, happy to pay what you want for part and postage - I'll still pay the postage and return if it doesn't work out.

20. ill have to check - must confess i dont remember that extra cable on mine....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information