1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter No, Clicking Yes And Smell

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by slumdog, Aug 8, 2015.

1. On pressing the starter button there was a clunk and no start, now there is on pressing a click and a quiet whine come hissing . The starter motor is getting hot and i can smell very hot rubber or plastic.. Any ideas please ??
    Have charged the battery and think it was okay anyway..

2. Sprag!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Check all the connections, could well be a loose or corroded connection.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Really sounds like the sprag clutch has failed.
    This means the starter is not engaging and turning the motor, it is just spinning, making a whirring noise and getting hot.
    This is either going to be expensive or you will find out lots about what's inside your left crankcase cover.
    Hope I'm wrong though...

5. Ahh , maybe me not making it clear. it's more an electrical noise -very faint, definitely not mechanical

6. Starter not spinning...

7. Could be the commutator has burnt out

8. Reg/rec wiring and connector.

9. Exactly what mine did..........sprag faulty probably because the battery had been failing so the sprag wouldn't properly engage, which buggered the sprag up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Is it more the electrIcal hum of an electric motor that won't turn then?
    Does the engine turn over alright if you push the bike in gear?

11. I think mine smelled like hot acid......

12. Yes probably that and yes I can bump start it,

13. Have hot wired the starter (positive to positive) solenoid works but no rotation in the starter motor- presume its the 'sprag' clutch (thanks 'Old rider' ) for the early prognosis ..
    Can get one for 50 quid - any idea if it's possible to do it oneself ??

14. I did mine.......Although I have worked on many cars and bikes it was the first time I had explored working on a Ducati engine..........Not too difficult if you take your time and think about what you are doing.

Not sure if the sprag is the same as the carbed SS one.........but the KTM one was identical to the Ducati one at half the cost..........

15. Have been more than a bit stupid ! If the sprag has gone it slips ,ie starter will run - if started gets hot and does not run more than likely current is running through the case and not the brushes .. On removal of battery, starter positive connection and reinstated, blow me down its working ! Thanks all for the help..

16. It's always wise to check the easy things first before thinking the worst.
    Pleased it was so simple.
    Steve

17. Lucky sod, then.........;)

I checked everything on mine and then more........sh*gged sprag and battery.

18. Lucky , and well pleased bu**er. ............

Do Not Sell My Personal Information