1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter Solenoid

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by paulm2930, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Any one here using pattern starter solenoids? Any known non ducati branded ones out there that are just as good for less money? I think mine is kaput. Anyone with experience please chime in.

2. Many of these alternative solenoids can be used. You will need to change over the connector to the loom but that's easy enough. But beware, many of these cheap made in China solenoids are utter rubbish and it's not just ones off eBay. I've had solenoids from trade suppliers that are just as bad, supplied with open circuit exciter coils, poor contact to the internal contacts and so on.

I had a 1098 solenoid that had packed up. The owner had been wondering why starting had been getting worse and worse until it stopped working altogether. So I took it apart and this is what I found inside it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Water had been getting past the rubber seal because the case wasn't crimped tightly enough.
    I took it apart, cleaned all the contacts and re-assembled it with a new rubber o-ring making sure it was properly crimped. It was as good as new and will probably last a lot longer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. FWIW I recently got a new one from Ducati (Moto Rapido) for £27.88. Also got the yellow ignition relay for £9.51, the two relays are often listed on ebay used for £20+ each

4. I buy Bosch ones - as I think they are better than OEM :thinkingface:

5. Is there a Bosch equivalent that will fit in the same rubber mounting sleeve?

6. Not sure, I just bought one for my horn on the race bike :motorcycleduc: not had to replace a starter relay but I would imagine there would be :thinkingface:

7. Just called Moto rapido and they quoted £71, that £27.88 must have been a special mates rates price.

8. Thanks for the help and pictures.
    My solenoid is as clean as a whistle, certainly doesn’t look like the inside of yours there.

9. FYI I replaced the solenoid with an identical (excerpt the connector plug, soldered it on) one from a Yamaha xv1100 (£18!) and now all good.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information