1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting Bike In 1st Gear

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by jose, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Strange question, but are the hypermotards able to start engine in 1st gear?
    Just used to my dirt bike starting in any gear which is nice.

2. IIRC, you should be able to start in gear if the clutch is pulled in. There is a micro switch on the underside of the clutch lever. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. As Andy says ^^^^ starting is possible in 1st gear and the clutch/stand interlock switches will play it's part in that. However you may have trouble starting in gear when it's cold because of the usual big-V issues plus clutch drag. Little point draining your battery with this I reckon...
    Anyway - just try it on your new bike;)

4. Not sure, I was doing some practice drills in a parking lot and stalled it in first, when I tried to start it but it wouldn’t start, clutch in of course.

5. My Hyper 939 will start in 1st. I think there's a manual page to refer to... Did yours turn over at all?

6. No, had to put it in neutral.

7. Just spoke to the dealer who said it could be a bad switch covered under warranty. I guess I can get it looked at with the 600 mile service soon.

8. Ah, I see, but that's crap for a new bike! Hopefully you've got a good dealer who will go out of their way to make it all good!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information