1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 S Starting From Cold

Discussion in 'Monster' started by MotoNik, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Has anyone experienced issues with starting from cold? A couple of times now I've pressed the starter and it's turned over once followed by clicks from the starter solenoid - as if it has a flat battery. To remedy this I fitted an Optimate lead, so I can plug the bike in when it's in the garage. But last night it did the same thing.

It tends to start on the second press, and is absolutely fine once the bike is warm. The battery condition is showing as good on my charger, and it's a brand new bike, so it's hard to believe anything serious is wrong. My suspicion is that it has a high compression ratio and a perhaps slightly marginal battery for the job it's expected to do.

It'll be in for it's first service next week, so we'll see what they say...

2. Keep us informed, it does sound like the battery.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have had it happen to me
    after riding my 1200R for about twenty miles ,stop to pick up nice carbon item for bike.
    Returning to the bike I tried to start it and it was like starting motor turning but not engaging the gearing to start the bike,
    after rocking the bike in gear and pulling in the clutch it started the bike?
    It has only happen once yesterday but has been fine since (hopefully just a one off glitch)

4. Can't help thinking the battery isn't really up to the job.

5. Also, feel free to post pictures of said carbon loveliness!

6. Bike wouldn't start this morning. I'm bloody furious - not even had it three weeks. I'm hoping it's just a dodgy battery, if such a thing exists. Oxford Maximiser is showing 13.6v and battery condition as Strong, but I just get a clicking relay when I try to start it. Supposed to be taking it in for first service today, so needless to say I'm waiting for a call back from the dealer...

7. Blimey MotoNik - thats frick'in unfortunate. Clicking could be down to a faulty starter solenoid. Luckily, no issues with mine so far, touch wood! Keep us posted on what the dealer finds out

• Like Like x 1
  8. Will do - should be something simple I guess. Just glad I don't need the bike this weekend - got a lot of bike-related stuff coming up, so want to get it sorted ASAP.

I HATE electrics!

9. Try putting in gear and rock bike then put in neutral pull in clutch lever and then try stating again
    Worked for me
    Regards

10. Thanks for the suggestion - tried that twice, but to no avail. It almost started, but I guess the battery just hasn't quite got enough cranking power.

11. I don't think it's the battery as I had it happen to me after a 20 mile run after being parked for 10 mins and then the folowing morning from cold after a few goes it suddenly fired up
    Not happen again as yet
    Regards

12. My battery charger is showing the battery condition as strong, so it does seem odd.

Did you get yours resolved, or find out what it was?

13. The bike shop is sending a man with a van. Will keep you posted on what they find.

14. No not been sorted going to dealer next week
    Like everything it has to happen in front of them , so they can see for their self's

15. That means that it won't happen - sod's law!

My theories are:

* Bad battery with no enough cranking power
    * Loose earth terminal
    * Dodgy starter solenoid
    * Dodgy starter motor

Place your bets now!

16. Battery was knackered. It had swollen up and was leaking acid. The dealer implied this was caused by me wiring up the charger back to front, and over-charging the battery. I politely explained that the battery was almost flat the day after I collected the bike. They also thought I'd damaged it by shorting the terminals inside the battery enclosure. Obviously they couldn't prove any of these things so didn't charge me for a new battery.

17. What dealer said that to you?

Surely you can't fit the charger in to the port the wrong way?

18. I had installed the wire to connect my Oxford Maximiser, so I can plug it in whenever the bike is in the garage. It doesn't work if the polarity is incorrect. The battery was already faulty, regardless of whether my charger might or might not have had anything to do with it. The dealer took it on the chin and replaced the battery as a goodwill gesture so ultimately everything was resolved to my satisfaction.

19. Fair enough.

Which dealer?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information