1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Starting Issue

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Serkta, Jan 4, 2019.

1. So been using the bike regularly with no problems (since replacing the radiator). Has been a bit sluggish starting and sometimes doesn't always start first time (and sometimes there is a worrying clunck noise from the engine) but does start usually 2nd or 3rd time.

Rode to work yesterday with no problems after the xmas break but when getting on her to come home it would not start.

Turn ignition on and get the usual whirring. Turns over, tries desperately to fire but won't. Front and back lights are on and the engine warning light comes on sporadically along with the petrol light.

There is petrol in it and all fluids are good. I know its colder but this has not normally been an issue.
    I've had a look on the forum and seen that regulators, solenoids and starting motors can be an issue.

Any pointers in which order I should check would be great. Many thanks

2. This again. :)

Battery.......... I had an issue where my bike would turn over but not fire as there was not enough current left to fire the coils. There are a few threads on this on here. :eyes:

If your bike was outside in the cold and your battery is less than 100% perfect, this would definitely be where I would start my investigation. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The regulator problem I had recently led to starting problems eventually but started with the usual symptoms of lights, indicators & idiot lights failing sporadically. Odd thing is that sometimes it was fine, other times wouldn’t start. New reg fixed it all though.

4. Exactfit cables?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I've had this exact problem, I've had my cams dialled in and tuned it up properly now starts on the button.

6. Shit in the tank?

No on second thoughts don’t do that, it could make it worse.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Sprag...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Thank you so much everyone. I have ordered a new battery and hope that sorts the issue :worried:

9. You'd be mad not to fit a new set of Stu's hi-cap starter cables whilst your in there fitting the new battery imho...

Best money I've spent on my 1198 by a country mile :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hi, where would I get them from? Cheers

11. #12 Ben Mallinson, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Pop :)
    Only costs £5 to subscribe so you save straight away - but check out the £15 option which gets you a Halfords Trade Card too :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  13. So I have connected the new battery (not had time to fit exact cables yet and wanted to see if it would start) engine turns over but petrol and engine light flash and the screen goes completely blank. At first the positive terminal was smoking and the red plastic has partially melted. Any ideas? What next? Could it be a regulator?

Many thanks in advance.

14. Have you connected the earth lead?

15. I'm not aware of having disconnected it. I have only swapped the battery.

16. That doesn’t sound good

17. I Dont mean to be patronising ,and i'm sure you know what you are doing but did you disconnect the NEG terminal first when disconnecting the battery and connect POS first when reconnecting new battery?...if you didnt it should have blown a fuse, but i did it once on a Modern triumph and the fuse didnt blow, just a thought .....eeeks.

18. Thank you for your reply. Don’t worry about offending me I’m at bit rubbish at this mechanical stuff. However, I am very happy to report that following fitting the exact cables and putting the new battery in (entirely possible earth was on the loose side) my baby started third time. Have done about 17 miles since and had to nervously stop for petrol but started first time. Thank you for the cable recommendation they are awesome. You can really feel the power and difference. Cheers all

• Like Like x 5
  19. Great to hear your all sorted, the cables do make the world of difference to the 1*98 bikes and are money well spent imho... Time to enjoy it with the knowledge that it will reliably start with the first press of the loud button now :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information