1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting My Next Ducati Build With Some Questions

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by james sheppard, May 7, 2020.

1. Hey all, I've headed down an interesting path with my next Ducati build. 1098 frame, s2 swingarm, 900ss engine. This isn't my first build, nor my first use of a SSA. However this one is going to be far simpler from my perspective in that I am going to use the s2 linkage in the 1098 frame, not attack it with a sawzall and break out the torches. My end result is going to be something like this Biggelaar bike, similar to one of Pepo's Ducatis...
    [​IMG]

I'm way ahead of myself, but I'm already thinking about exhaust options... and remember, this is an aircooled 900ss engine (FI).
    1. Stock headers, aftermarket high mount exhausts -- there are some reasonable options online right now. Pros -- the stock headers are not terrible, and this is a simpler option, as long as the rear header clears the shock linkage (it did on the ST3 based engine in the pic above). Fabricating rear exhaust mounts is relatively simple -- they'd mount to the 1098 seat subframe somehow. The drawbacks is that the bike will be intended for some trackday use, and my stock headers already have the telltale marks of being decked out in the turns due to the lack of cornering clearance. My local track is bumpy, and if the header isn't being ground away in a constant radius turn, it gets twatted when I go over a bump heeled over.

2. Modifying aftermarket headers -- there is a set of Mivv 796 AND 1100 headers for a hypermotard on the bay of E right now for reasonable prices, new. I've got a tig welding guru who could modify the headers to suit the 900ss engine (if any changes are needed), and re-route the link pipe up to a single muffler, tucked up high on the RHS of the bike to allow easier rear wheel changes (for track use), and let's be honest, show off the SSA. The pros here is certainly no ground clearance issues, but the same uncertainty about how either the 796 or the 1100 headers would mate to the 900 engine, and/or clear the linkage in the suspension setup seen above. Also, a 2-1 never sounds as nice as a 2-x-2. Further, I've got 3-4 nice 2 " mufflers kicking around the shop, as well as some mandrel bent exhaust tuning, so completing this system might end up being cheaper than the $800 CAD being asked for the Spark high-mount exhausts advertised in option 1 above. Also, if I do go this way should I get the 796 or the 1100 headers? I suppose if some cutting and shutting is required, the 1100 headers should be (millimeters?) longer due to the 1100 engine's longer stroke vs. the 900.

Finally, the bonus question -- the 1098 tank showed up in the mail yesterday, with fuel pump -- I connected it to the 900ss FI harness, flicked the switch, and the pump primed just like a 900ss FI tank would. Is it that simple? Connect the harness, attach the lines to/from the injectors, and off we go? I do understand that the fuel pressure is consistent among all the fuel injected Ducati bikes, but that's interwebs hearsay.

Any and all advice welcomed. And yes, I should get a spaghetti system, but I do have a bit of a budget on this build..>!

2. Not quite. The 900ss pressure regulator is mounted on the throttle bodies, the 1098 regulator is in the tank. You will need to use fuel lines that simply loop from the tank outlet connector to both injectors and back to the return connector, maybe 1098 lines will suit, and you can remove the 900ss regulator.

#2 Derek, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  3. Why not use a s2/monster frame.

Engine, swingarm, shock alignment already sorted.

4. Hmmm, with all respect, buying an s2 frame would leave me with an.... s2. Building it this way for the challenge. I can certainly just buy a 696 in Winnipeg and be done with it, but what's the fun in that?

5. I hear you, I put a1098 in a s4 frame with 999 swingarm.

How does the 1098 frame, aircooled motor, s2 arm etc. Come together?

6. Engine mounts are identical, I need to come up with a footrest solution, and the shock and linkage lines up with minor fettling -- the pic I posted has that configuration (ST3 engine very close to 2v aircooled).

Do Not Sell My Personal Information