1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting Point Set Up

Discussion in 'Suspension help' started by DanSS600, Apr 15, 2020.

1. This is the suspension unit on my 95 600ss. Can anyone tell me how to set it up as a starting point to adjust to my weight? I'm 64kg. DSC_0323.JPG

2. Hi,
    Sorry if this is all irrelevant to your situation, but before starting on a suspension set-up I would always advise a thorough check that everything involved is in decent condition, correctly installed and working correctly.
    This means -
    Tyres condition and pressures
    Bearings in steering head, both wheels, swing arm pivot, shock top and bottom smooth and without play
    Forks and shock with smooth action, some damping both on comp and rebound, no fluid leaks and clickers have an effect on the damping if they are installed
    Springs on forks and shock standard or suitable for the job (e.g. in your case not set up for a 165kg guy)
    From that point, and being clear what you want to use the bike for, it is worth setting up.

3. The start point would be to set the sag.
    This would mean putting the shock back in the bike first.

Summary of job is to take the weight off both wheels, measure the suspension travel to a known point. Then let bike back onto wheels and, while holding it upright, measure the distance to the same point.
    The sag is the difference between the unloaded and loaded measurements for front and rear.
    Can’t remember the numbers right now, but you need to then adjust your preload so that you get the required sag at front and rear by repeating the above exercise.

Somebody will be on in a mo with the required front and rear range shortly...

4. Thanks for the info. I found this on another thread..........

It depends on which shock you have fitted to the bike.....If it is the Sachs Boge one with the blue adjustment knob on top of the reservoir, it should be 14mm preload.

Rebound screw at the bottom, should be 6 clicks out (anti-clockwise) from fully screwed in (clockwise).

Compression blue knob, should be 25 clicks out (anti-clockwise) from fully screwed in (clockwise).

5. Damping does not affect the sag. Sag is purely down to spring rate and preload.
    Sounds like what you have found is the factory settings - these will not be customised to your weight, unless they used a person of your weight at the factory.

6. Just google Dave Moss and start watching.
    Set the sag (you don't have to join anything if you watch enough...)
    Set sag and go from there. Thats static sag... then you move on.
    In the end both ends of the bike should match. I am overweight for my stock bike...
    BUT
    Set up correctly I have not felt the need to upgrade the springs yet.
    Every single ride I think wow, it handled (Insert road item here) well
    Get a zip tie...

Rex

7. Here are a few primers

Rex

Do Not Sell My Personal Information